• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do you read the x5 scale

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
Im waiting for my bird 43 5000w element to get here so until then im using the x5 switch on the bird meter. I cant figure out what scale to read and how to read it.
So with the x5 switch on with a 2500w element what scale do i read? The 100, 50 or 25? And is the reading what the actual power out is or do i have to do some math?

Last edited:

You would read the 20 (25) scale. The end of the scale would be 12,500 watts, the 20 would be 10,000 watts, etc.

So would that make the 5 on the scale 3500w?

The 5 (which would normally be 500) will be 2500 with the multiplier on x5 with a 2500 watt slug.

Read the meter as you normally would without the multiplier. Then multiply the reading by 5. You still have to use the scale that's appropriate for the slug you're using.

Reactions: DoctorAudio
The 5 (which would normally be 500) will be 2500 with the multiplier on x5 with a 2500 watt slug.

Read the meter as you normally would without the multiplier. Then multiply the reading by 5. You still have to use the scale that's appropriate for the slug you're using.
Ahhhh, ok. (y) i got it now. That makes sense to me now. And im assuming that the same applies when using the x2 function?
Heres an afterthought about this x2 x5 swich thing. Can you damage an element by running more power than its rated for? The switch thing is on the meter not the slug. So sure you can make the meter read whatever but the element is still what its rated for. Make sense?

Ahhhh, ok. (y) i got it now. That makes sense to me now. And im assuming that the same applies when using the x2 function?
Heres an afterthought about this x2 x5 swich thing. Can you damage an element by running more power than its rated for? The switch thing is on the meter not the slug. So sure you can make the meter read whatever but the element is still what its rated for. Make sense?

I've wondered about damaging the elements but don't know if there's any real danger of that. I don't use multipliers.

I've wondered about damaging the elements but don't know if there's any real danger of that. I don't use multipliers.
Yea i dont like the whole Multiplier thing either. I just have to use it for now until the elements i ordered get here, AND so i dont smack the needle in the corner.

Color me skeptical. A 2-to-1 overload doesn't scare me that much for smaller elements.

Even so, the Bird elements may be more robust than the 'copy' elements from Coaxial Dynamics and, um, whoever the other one was.

Had a Coaxial Dynamics 10k slug between a 4CX15000 tube and the 10 kW dummy. When it pegged on PEP I switched to average. Only had enough breaker on the 240 circuit for about 4000 Watts average. The meter showed that for a few seconds then went dead. Looked at the element and noticed it said "10 kW PEAK". Yeah, peak. Means it was more or less a 2500 Watt element in average mode. Didn't even take twice that power to croak it.

Replaced it with a Bird element at about twice the price. That one still works.

Kinda ruined my attitude towards "times 2" and such setups.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.