• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how effective is a j pole antenna on 11 meters ?

There is good procedure for antenna testing: http://www.wb9kmw.com/WB9KMW/tower/HF_Tribander_Performance.pdf page 6.
The one I could trust.
Talking random DX, random time on different antennas means nothing.
Mike
There is good procedure for antenna testing: http://www.wb9kmw.com/WB9KMW/tower/HF_Tribander_Performance.pdf page 6.
The one I could trust.
Talking random DX, random time on different antennas means nothing.
Mike
Sp5it,
Alot of operator's use computer software to make antenna's myself included but sometimes it doesn't work because it doesn't know your geographic location. I build my wire antenna's by hand and check them to see how well they work at my location which the computer doesn't know.
The one's I have now can compete with beam antenna's, vertical groundplane's without running any power which I am very happy with. After I finished building, testing my j-pole, slim jim against my
5/8 wave vertical dipole, 5/8 wave extended double zepp I found out the 5/8 vertical dipole, extended double zepp are is in a class by themseleves. Afterwards I decided to cut up the twin-lead and deposit it in the trash can at the local supermarket.
My 11m half-delta is by far my 3rd best wire antenna of all my wire antenna's so I won't be making any more for the time being for my location. When skywave propagation conditions are good they can outperform a 11m maco 3 element beam, other 5/8 wave antenna without using an amplifier. How many operator's can do that.
As my mentor silent key extra class amateur radio operator, united state army brigadier general,former aide to former president truman once told me. If built correctly a wire antenna's can beat any commercial made aluminum without using a amplifier past, present, future.
Maverick 233

Last edited:
Reactions: Marconi
I recently put together a J-ploe for cb band but wanted to make it so I could adjust it for 10m as well. Made from old 5/8gp parts I had lying around. Installed 20 feet off the ground and tuned it came out to be 27'3" on the long side, 110" on the matching section, spacing between the two is 10" and the feed point is 10.5" from the inside of the link connecting the radials. SWR are flat at 27.315 and are at 1.5 at 26.965 and 27.665. The antenna is isolated from the mast using a piece of handrail bout 4 feet long. See attached pics its not pretty but it works. Started on it Thursday, finished and installed on Friday, and was DXing on Saturday. Using just a Galaxy dx95t, I made lots of contacts on the low side of 27.385. I'm in north-east Ks. In a bit of a whole here. I made contacts all over the east and west coast, and as far as Jamaica, Portugal,Nova Scotia,Hawaii, and a mobile in Newfounland in a matter of couple hours. Had Australia coming in briefly but couldn't make trip. At some point I'm gonna set up the Penatrater sp500 on the other end of the house and compare the two. Hope you all find this info useful20211008_141726.jpg 20211008_141816.jpg

I recently put together a J-ploe for cb band but wanted to make it so I could adjust it for 10m as well. Made from old 5/8gp parts I had lying around. Installed 20 feet off the ground and tuned it came out to be 27'3" on the long side, 110" on the matching section, spacing between the two is 10" and the feed point is 10.5" from the inside of the link connecting the radials. SWR are flat at 27.315 and are at 1.5 at 26.965 and 27.665. The antenna is isolated from the mast using a piece of handrail bout 4 feet long. See attached pics its not pretty but it works. Started on it Thursday, finished and installed on Friday, and was DXing on Saturday. Using just a Galaxy dx95t, I made lots of contacts on the low side of 27.385. I'm in north-east Ks. In a bit of a whole here. I made contacts all over the east and west coast, and as far as Jamaica, Portugal,Nova Scotia,Hawaii, and a mobile in Newfounland in a matter of couple hours. Had Australia coming in briefly but couldn't make trip. At some point I'm gonna set up the Penatrater sp500 on the other end of the house and compare the two. Hope you all find this info usefulView attachment 47686 View attachment 47687
Kristen 1
I hand-built a 11m J-pole Wire Antenna which came out to 25'.3" but wasn't able to get my swr down pass 1.5 so when I get a chance I'm going to add 2' which will bring it to 27'.3" just like yours. My J-pole Vertical Antenna is being made out of wire & 300ohm twin-lead.
Hopefully I will have success.

Reactions: Marconi
This is an old thread, but the devil made me do it.

I don't think the overlay below will settle the issues regarding the J-Pole...compared to other 11-meter vertical monopoles, but here is an overlay for several models, where I compared the patterns, take off angle, and maximum gain.

The (*) indicates the details below are for the model selected, and it is the *J-Pole in this case.

My wire for #1, the radiator, is 303" x .50" inches, and that is pretty weak to be so long. The stub is 104" x .50" inches with a space of 13.5" inches between these two.

I don't really see much of a difference so as to matter in gain or angles. I'm also surprised at how similar the patterns are comparing the J-Pole to the Vector 4K.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.pdf
    443.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
This is an old thread, but the devil made me do it.

I don't think the overlay below will settle the issues regarding the J-Pole...compared to other 11-meter vertical monopoles, but here is an overlay for several models, where I compared the patterns, take off angle, and maximum gain.

The (*) indicates the details below are for the model selected, and it is the *J-Pole in this case.

My wire for #1, the radiator, is 303" x .50" inches, and that is pretty weak to be so long. The stub is 104" x .50" inches with a space of 13.5" inches between these two.

I don't really see much of a difference so as to matter in gain or angles. I'm also surprised at how similar the patterns are comparing the J-Pole to the Vector 4K.
Marconi,
The 11m J-pole is a very good antenna if mounted very high above ground. Alot of amateur radio operator's put 2m versions on top of their tower's with some being up 75' or more.
The one I built is 25'.3" which is probably to short or it's interacting with the fiberglass pole it's mounted to.
I will have to do some more test to really find out what going on with it. Dave Tadlock KG0ZZ has a YouTube video on one and said it even outperforms a hygain super penetrator 500 which is why I decided to build one. Hopefully I will have some success with it from the one you built and use you're measurements to get mine working correctly which I will post in the future.
Thanks for you're help
I truly appreciate you.

I always thought it would be fun to make a 1/4 wave stub out of copper tubing, mounted horizontally, then have the half wave portion made of #14 wire pulled up into a tree. Essentially bending the matching section of a jpole 90 degrees.

Marconi,
The 11m J-pole is a very good antenna if mounted very high above ground. Alot of amateur radio operator's put 2m versions on top of their tower's with some being up 75' or more.
The one I built is 25'.3" which is probably to short or it's interacting with the fiberglass pole it's mounted to.
I will have to do some more test to really find out what going on with it. Dave Tadlock KG0ZZ has a YouTube video on one and said it even outperforms a hygain super penetrator 500 which is why I decided to build one. Hopefully I will have some success with it from the one you built and use you're measurements to get mine working correctly which I will post in the future.
Thanks for you're help
I truly appreciate you.
Thanks 233. Keep me posted on your progress with the J-Pole and what antenna you used to compare performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioShockwav
I always thought it would be fun to make a 1/4 wave stub out of copper tubing, mounted horizontally, then have the half wave portion made of #14 wire pulled up into a tree. Essentially bending the matching section of a jpole 90 degrees.
Keep up posted Brandon.

I built a j-pole antenna for 11m band recently and BB is right it performs just like a 1/2 vertical.
Thanks 233, your results don't surprise me...based on my comparison models above in my post #39. The models show little difference in gain, but I doubt most of the time it would be a noticeable difference.

I've also seen videos on YouTube that indicated very similar results to my Eznec models posted above in post @39. Video example:

You're also right 233, IMO BB noticed and reported the obvious regarding a well-done J-Pole. In this case we were discussing a 1/2 wave, 3/4 wave long J-Pole.

Thanks for your good work and the details for what you did.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated