• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How Far Apart Between Beam And Omni

Cajun Invader

Membership Moderator
Oct 13, 2008
Does anyone know how far apart I need to be between my beam and my omni-directional antenna?

Also would the distance be from the end of the beam or the center mast?

The beam is a Lasar 500, it has a 40' mast.

The omni is a Maco V5000.

Both will be on towers 75'. Before I start digging holes I want to make sure they are properly spaced.

The simplest answer is, as far as you can get them, which isn't really very helpful. The affect they will have on each other tapers off as the distance increases, but there will be some affect until that distance gets huge. The key there is, how much is too much till it's acceptable? Good question, and I can't answer that.
The only way I know of minimizing all that 'affecting' is to put one above the other. Doesn't really minimize much, but it makes it symmetrical, sort of, and less noticeable. Not as much of a 'bump'/'clump'/'dump' in spots.
That separation distance is measured in wave lengths. The greater the better, till it gets totally ridiculous. You might be able to get them 10 wave lengths apart, but then how do you feed the @#$ things?
So, basically, it's a matter of maximizing where you can, and minimizing where you can, so that the whole thing fit's inside your wallet. It would be real easy for me to spend your money, so it's a pretty good idea if you do that 'mini/maxi' mizing thingy instead of me, right?
Aw rats! Just buy out the whole neighborhood, doze off all that mess, landscape it of course, remote the radios to the base of the towers and control it all from your easy chair! Ain't no step for a stepper! Lets see... I figure 4 or 5 multi-million dollar lottery wins ought'a handle it. Get busy.
- 'Doc

The bill is in the mail.

I am at 50' between a 10K on a tower and 5 ele Yagi on a tower. I can still see a little reflect on the beam when it is point at the 10K.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.