• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How many APRS capable members do we have?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
With all the discussion over the last year on APRS, especially because of the introduction of the new Yaesu VX-8, how many forum APRS users do we have?

If there's enough interest, I'll start a WWRF APRS Social Group on the site (see social groups above, under the "community" link on the navigation bar) so we can track other members, send aprs messages for fun, etc.

I'm not just asking about VX-8 users...I'm asking about all methods of APRS tracking.

Sound like fun?

it sounds like fun. I had the VX-8 for a while, but sent it back because it would consistently lock up. Figured I'd wait for a few bug fixes and buy it again...

Then I had APRS running with UI-View and another HT, but it was a clumbsy setup. I had to push the PTT key before sending, but it would receive fine. I've since unplugged that mess, but with shorter days and rain looming, I could probably find interest to set up something...but I'd be using it mostly for texting and I could do that through one of the websites as I would not have a moile APRS station.

Mole',
It would be interesting! Can't promise that I'd use it a bunch, but it would certainly be handy to have.
- 'Doc

Yes, I have a VX-8R.
Yes, I do APRS.

I did a little digging and I would say no to the social group.

Additionally, I would like to hear from anyone who got APRS functioning with something besides a VX-8R. Because I would like to get APRS functioning on HF.

Last edited:
Both the wifes(VE6HRS) vehicle and mine(VE6TEQ) are running APRS.I have a VX-8R, TM-D710, and 3 TinyTracks. I also have two area digi's(VA6SRG & VA6SS) running as well as an I-gate.

Last edited:
Additionally, I would like to hear from anyone who got APRS functioning with something besides a VX-8R. Because I would like to get APRS functioning on HF

Well, I used another rig with MixW software to act as a fill-in digipeater. I haven't tried it on HF, but I suppose I could if I had a GPS I could hook up. I have a TNC that would work.

VHF or HF, the only difference is frequency. If you have a radio capable of doing packet (APRS) it should work just dandy on HF. The only qualification is to stay in the portion of the band allotted for packet use.
If/when I use APRS I'm in one of two places, the truck or in the house. The thingy in the truck is a separate transmitter (no receiver) and is a 'stand-alone'. I don't have to mess with it, pay attention to it, doesn't tie up a radio with APRS. It's only to show where I am and only does that. If I want to send messages, I do that with the raio in the truck. That's a lie, it's too complicated for me so I use a computer with that radio to make things more easy for me, sort of. If I'm at home, or on a base radio, I use a computer to do all the tracking, messaging, etc. Both of those are strictly using RF, directly hearing things off the air. Using the internet is a completely different animal. Nothing wrong with that except it's almost never 'real time', there's always a delay. That delay can be almost anything from seconds to days! For the intended purpose, seconds are manageable, days are totally useless. No idea where the 'usefullness' cut-off point in that 'delay' is, it just depends on what you're doing.
The radio in the truck has a TNC built in, real handy, and why I have that particular radio. There are a number of TNCs that will work fine, some are just 'handier' than others. (That 'stand-alone' thingy has one built in also.) At home, that TNC is a sound card program, since the computer has a sound card and I don't have a TNC. That sound card program is free (there's also a commercial version of it that's easier for me to use, I have both). Free is NICE! That program will do what I want it to, but I'm sure it has limitations too (not as limiting as -my- limitations, so who cares... so far).
None of this is just 'dead' simple (for me anyway). It requires figuring out how to put stuff together and making it work right. It isn't the 'best' way in the world of doing it, but it works for me. And all I can say is that if I can make it work (with some help of course), anybody ought to be able to. And believe me, that is NOT me being modest! From there it's simply a matter of what you can figure out, what you have available, how much you wanna spend, and then just doing it. Being an 'idiot' at times certainly helps, ask me about it. (So does whining/sniveling/crying! But not really as much.)
Have fun. THAT's the biggy!
- 'Doc

AGWPE is probably the most common software/soundcard TNC, other than MixW , Flexnet32 and MultiPSK, and maybe a few others.

OK tnx.
On the ui view what download did you use, to many to pick from when I looked at the page.

DOCTOR/795

OK, so If I start an APRS group here, who wants to run it? I say we all get on, exchange callsigns and see where it takes us...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.