• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How much?

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
Hey guys,

How much would YOU pay for a Taiwan Cobra 148 gtl. Decent conditon, recap and alignment?

I have heard a lot of good things about these radios... But some prices on the internet are way to high in my book. Maybe I'm just way off the mark... :)

Thanks

Whatever the normal price is. The alignment is probably what makes an actual difference and most older CBs would benefit from one.

not much. I never liked the 148's.
figure for someone to do the recap would be 50$-75$ ish I'd think. the quote for my madison was 70$. alignments run 25$ or 30$ ish . that's 100$ right off the bat.
taking your time and sticking to your limit will save you some money. I got my trc-465 for 32$, most I see go for double that.
my supposedly working 142 gtl was only 35$ when most go for 100$+ but I had to recap it myself.

general consensus here is if sparrowhawk is selling it, it's too much no matter the price.

From what ive seen, $100-$125 seems to be the goin rate for a working radio in the condition you described. Thats tai and philly models..

I agree, and any tunes or channels are really just a bonus for the buyer. The only way I would go 150-175 is if the radio was very clean to mint with the box and everything it came with new. I would add that a Uniden Grant xl or lt would get a 15% bump in price because I thing they are the ones to have.

Reactions: Sideways
I agree, and any tunes or channels are really just a bonus for the buyer. The only way I would go 150-175 is if the radio was very clean to mint with the box and everything it came with new. I would add that a Uniden Grant xl or lt would get a 15% bump in price because I thing they are the ones to have.
Diddo on the grants. I got my grant xl in near perfect condition (only minor scratches) for like 40 bucks! They're not talked up like the 148's are i guess, and were still being produced till the early 2k's iirc, so they're not as hard to find in decent condition.. right now anyway.

If it was in very good condition and I really wanted one I would pay around $100. You are paying for nostalgia. I was there at one point too. I had a like new in the box Philippine 148 that I bought for $175, I never used the thing and sold it for a small profit...probably lost $10 after shipping and ebay fees. There are modern rigs on the market that are much more stable, have more power, and more features than these old dinosaurs.

If it was in very good condition and I really wanted one I would pay around $100. You are paying for nostalgia. I was there at one point too. I had a like new in the box Philippine 148 that I bought for $175, I never used the thing and sold it for a small profit...probably lost $10 after shipping and ebay fees. There are modern rigs on the market that are much more stable, have more power, and more features than these old dinosaurs.

I've been trying to decide on a SSB rig... Uniden 980 ( I don't like the beep or the final blowing up unless you detune them) Galaxy 979 (drift and not the fun car kind) or RCI/Yeticom ($300+)

So... A Cobra for $180 seems be a good deal?

Have I overlooked something?

If you spend the extra 100 on a better radio that's new and hasn't had a lot of hands in it I think that's a win. It all comes down to what you need/want and what you're willing to spend.

I'd be a buyer up to $125, if all work was done by a reputable tech. Personally, I would be fine with an old 148 as long as it had a good channel mod. I would skip anything else less than a 2950/optima. So yes, if you aren't willing or able to spend 300+, the 148/grant xl is really the only other option. I am waiting for a good deal on a grant xl myself, but it has to have the 6 position channel mod. If the radio needs any work at all, I won't pay more than $30, as it gets too expensive.

I've never owned one but some of the old SSB guys really like the hr2510. I doubt you can find a cheap one on ebay but some have been traded locally for around $100 to $150. A local here runs one and it sounds pretty good on AM too. It isn't blaring loud like some people like but more of a clean crisp sound.

There may be better radios out there now but that doesn't effect the way the old ones perform, they're still good radios. It's just that if you're going to spend big money you might as well get a better one and $180 is a significant chunk of change. In order for me to go over $100 the work would have to have been recently done by a tech that I know and have confidence in.

So either more saving or keep an eye out for a better price on a 148.

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?