• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how to build an 11 meter ringo ????

I have never heard anyone claim success using this site to build anything noted.

You note to downsize the coil to 10" whatever that means. The 6' length noted for the coil will make you a diameter of about 25" or 12.5" radius. Do you mean 10" radius? How do you know that 10" will work?

this guy started out building the 5/8 but changed the loop to a coil , he also eliminated the tophat.
MY 5/8 WAVE GROUND PLANE Photo Gallery by Sean 12Footer at pbase.com
i discussed it with him some on another forum .
http://thequackshack.com/index.php?showtopic=21717

i got the 10 in diameter from the next to the last advertisment here .
Cush Craft CR-1 "Ringo"

i cant find aluminium tubing for any where near a reasonable price , IMO . copper isnt strong enough for a 22 1/2 foot radiator but i think 3/4 would work for 18 foot .

if im on a dead end here do you know where i could find plans/instructions for a 1/2 wave 11 meter antenna ?

i also have access to some copper refrigeration line for residental home use . if i ran that inside pvc would it have static issues like antrons and i-max's do ?

BOOTY MONSTER,
I think if you sort of read between the lines, you sort of get the idea that ol'Sean had a general idea of what he was after, but no specific solutions to any one particular part of his antenna. I'm willing to bet that 'coil' thingy was a lot of 'try it and see', rather than an exact dimensions thingy. And after seeing some of the things he did try, and his reasons for not doing it that way (in his particular case!), tends to prove that out. His "what ever you happen to have" philosophy is absolutely normal for any antenna experimenting. If it works, it works. Worry about making it 'better'/prettier/easier later.
I've found that 'ring' method is just exactly what he said it was, 'touchy'. Even if it's commercially made, it's 'touchy' to tune, doesn't take much movement of that shorting-bar to make a big change, once you get to the 'ball park' stage of adjustment. (I like that 'bar-stock' idea. No idea where to find it, but it sounds reasonable.)
One characteristic about using a coil, or taped coil, for matching is that it can be made less subject to variations because of weather by putting it inside something. The bigger that enclosure, the further it is away from the coil, the less interaction there will be. If it intrudes into the 'field' around that coil, it will change it's characteristics. After some undetermined point, that size of enclosure can get really ridiculous, so some reason is required there.
What to use for the antenna elements/conductors? Well, it has to be 'stiff', able to support it's own weight without bending, OR, enclosed/attached to something that will do that for it. What? Beats me. What'cha got that will do that, or what can your imagination supply that will do that? Got a tree with a limb overhanging a fence 30 - 50 feet above ground? Hang a wire from it and use that fence as the 'radial's. It works. Maybe not the 'best' in the world, but if it works, who cares?
There's another option to that 'ring' or coil. All that's needed is something that will supply the required impedance match, right? Once upon a time, ya-da ya-da ya-da, I saw such a thingy made from two pieces of coax. One sort of long from the base of the vertical element, and a shorter shorted 'stub' at the other end of the longer piece where it ended in an SO-239 connector for the feed line. (Wish I could find those dimensions again, but can't...Rats! And am too lazy to find them by experimenting.) The whole thing was suspended from a tree limb over a chain-link fence. It worked just fine. (This was at work. Had so much 'stuff' hung/hanging from that tree that I eventually caught @#$$ over it an had to remove it all. Mostly, sort of. Used so many wrenches, rocks, whatever for 'chunkers' that got tangled/hung-up, I ran out of tools. An old sock filled with sand works great!)
All kinds of things you can try, just takes a little imagination...
- 'Doc

It ain't easy being this cheap.

.... ya-da ya-da ya-da, I saw such a thingy made from two pieces of coax. One sort of long from the base of the vertical element, and a shorter shorted 'stub' at the other end of the longer piece where it ended in an SO-239 connector for the feed line. (Wish I could find those dimensions again, but can't...Rats!....

is this kinda what you're thinking of? i have seen them with a 1/8 and 1/4 wl stubs or a 1/4 and 1/2 wl stubs. with a switch between to select the one you want to use... open or shorted.
open adds capacatance, closed adds inductance .... and doubling (or halving) the length will "flip-flop" the results
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0710060.pdf

Unfortunately, that's not it. The short section was something like a foot, the longer one something like maybe three feet. Used foam dialectric coax. Even remember making special note of the lengths. Just don't know what I did with the notes...
- 'Doc

I have built this antenna noted in your link with the tuning ring and it works real good. I built it as a .64 wave. Yes the radials do make a difference. The angle also makes a difference too. I use about a 45 degree angle. a couple of pics at
http://shudyconsulting.com/bigdrive/uploads/
labeled antenna-base-full and antenna-base-closeup. Its cost me about 37 dollars to make about a year and a half ago. Its only sitting up about 18 feet right now but I am in the process of putting up a 60 foot tower.

Hello you can use a AR10 but need to redo it over all 17.6 tall
and new stub made up 17 1/2 " this same antenna can also
be used on 6 meters

73 Al / N3IZR

Reactions: k5jpd
I have built a few many years ago. Dont have the dimensions anymore . The 10 inch diameter sounds about right The commercial half wave version uses the base mounting to provide capacitance across the ring ( radiator is in a insulator inside the base mounting tube ,the length of tube inside the other affects the match , a bit like a gamma match rod) I found the design to be very fussy , the match changed dramatically with height above ground and surrounding objects I had to change the tap point several times to get it right after raising the antenna I found it better with radials but I found that if the radials where mounted to close to the ring I couldn't get a match Go for the 5/8 version it is a bit easier to tune. Also here is the coax stub version 5/8

Attachments

• 10mantenna (1).pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Marconi
I have built a few many years ago. Dont have the dimensions anymore . The 10 inch diameter sounds about right The commercial half wave version uses the base mounting to provide capacitance across the ring ( radiator is in a insulator inside the base mounting tube ,the length of tube inside the other affects the match , a bit like a gamma match rod) I found the design to be very fussy , the match changed dramatically with height above ground and surrounding objects I had to change the tap point several times to get it right after raising the antenna I found it better with radials but I found that if the radials where mounted to close to the ring I couldn't get a match Go for the 5/8 version it is a bit easier to tune. Also here is the coax stub version 5/8

I have found similar results with my Wolf 50_11M noted below. http://www.wolfradio.com/p50.htm

It was very difficult to control the match while tuning near the ground. I found some success tuning insitu, but this made it very difficult to get the antenna very high. I also found the antenna worked exceptionally well with a strong TX/RX signal in my case...even with a >1.80:1 SWR.

These tests were local comparisons with other antennas mounted a wavelength or more away. I did not test this one during DX, because there was no DX during the period I used the antenna.

Last edited:
Cush Craft CR-1 "Ringo"

if i wanted to make a copy of this for CB just make an 18 foot radiator with a 10 inch tuning ring ? make the ring in the style shown here....
Tips and tricks on how to build your own CB Antennas.
......just down size it to 10 inches ????

would 4 108 inch grounds help it any ?

thanks
Original CR-1 Antenna
I had one of the CR-1 Ringos back in the 70s and as you mentioned the ring diameter was 10". For a 1/2 W vertical it worked very well and had extremely low SWR across the 11M band. In those days I made regular 30 mile contacts with a barefoot E.F. Johnson 223.

Reactions: Marconi

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.