• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to buy on Ebay and survive...

seekyou

Apr 30, 2015
Thought It might be good to share some advice re Amateur/CB buying/selling on Ebay.
Here's some of mine for what its worth:

Buying:
1. Read the listing and then again and again and maybe again! I find you can easily miss something with only a cursory look. For example right down at the bottom is a very small section stating whether the seller offers returns! Also there are a lot of listings posted just as "used" but then point out the faults in the description. These should be listed as "Not working or spares " .

2. Avoid items with ridiculously short descriptions. There has been one Radio that has remained unsold for 2 months now. The listing just repeats the description. No mention of condition etc! I sent a question and guess what...No reply.

3. Here are the classics.
a/ "I cant test this as I don't have an antenna/mic/etc etc." You can put a length of wire in the ant socket and at least tell me if the receiver is working? If a dummy load is available you could tell us if there is ANY output - Mic not required always!
b/ "It was working last time I used it" So was the lamp stand that’s been in the garage for the last 2 years. I doubt if the bulb still works though.
c/ " It lights up" I suppose this is better than nothing but really tells you VERY little! I can turn on the lights on my Car but it might not start!

To sum up my thoughts I would suggest that the best advise is..ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS! before going ahead with the bid.

I guess to some these are all perhaps obvious but if we can help each other avoid being ripped off that can only be good...yes?

Reactions: William Pilgrim

Don't be an impulsive buyer, be a CRITICAL buyer! Bad pictures that are blurry or way over exposed sends flags up! Poorly written descriptions with a lot of misspelled words or bad grammatical errors are unimpressive and you may end up with an unimpressive item or packaging. Proper packaging can be critical for ham gear. Do they have the original boxes? Do they only sell an item or two a year? Does ham gear only show up in their feedback 1 out of 100 times? If so, they may not have a clue how to package more fragile gear.
If it started out as a good deal but isn't one now, BAIL! Set your budget limits and stick to them. There is most always another good deal coming along, be patient!
Manage your money, don't let your money manage YOU!

If you really don't want to win an item bid your max amount as early as you can and watch the idiots fight over it. They'll out bid you and then keep on running the price up until the end.

READ the feedback left by other buyers - especially if there's any negative feedback. It may only be ONE negative critique, but read it ANYWAYS. It'll give you a good idea of whether the disgruntled buyer(s) didn't know what they were doing, OR, whether the seller regularly misrepresents (i.e. "lies about") what he sells.

It's amazing the people who buy first, that DON'T read a seller's feedback. It's there for a reason!

READ the feedback left by other buyers - especially if there's any negative feedback. It may only be ONE negative critique, but read it ANYWAYS. It'll give you a good idea of whether the disgruntled buyer(s) didn't know what they were doing, OR, whether the seller regularly misrepresents (i.e. "lies about") what he sells.

It's amazing the people who buy first, that DON'T read a seller's feedback. It's there for a reason!
I bought a scanner that was listed as barely used excellent condition. I got it just for the extra battery packs because I already have the scanner. The scanner would be a bonus. Got it cheap at 40 bucks but here's the thing the scanner was not excellent condition the rubber antenna was broke at the BNC connector where it was bent. Seller didn't didn't show that in his pics. The screen was scratched all to pieces. And the belt clip was bent outward where he obvious wore it on his belt on a regular basis. I wasn't mad because I was after the two battery chargers and battery packs that were new as listed. Those two items were worth the 40 bucks alone to me but IF I was after the scanner itself I'd been mad as hell because the seller lied about the condition. The pics did not detail the broke antenna nor the scratched up screen. I've noticed that sellers that are willing to post close up shots and provide several pictures usually have nothing to hide and are honest. Some of them you have to watch though.

Look at feedback percentage, analyze offering well, and ask questions till you know whether or not you really want it.

If one doesn't have the wherewithal to properly analyze whats being offered, One must, either not purchase the item, or assume the risk. Rants, initiated as a result of not performing due diligence, simply illustrates to others, one's failure in judgement.

Caveat emptor; Latin, let the buyer beware.

law : the principle that a person who buys something is responsible for making sure that it is in good condition, works properly, etc.

A principle in commerce: without a warranty the buyer takes the risk.

Last edited:
I always look at buying used gear as a gamble, you can increase your odds of getting a winner by doing due diligence but there is always a chance you're going to get a dud. Just accept the fact that you're taking a risk and bid accordingly.

If you want a guarantee forget ebay and buy new.

There's always the sellers that say "unable to test the transceiver/ amp/ radio due to_____"

Then look at the additional items they have up for sale and you can clearly see other similar items are listed as tested and working. So now you know the "unable to test" unit DEFINITELY doesn't work ;)

Another tip is to do an advanced search by clicking "advanced" next to the regular search button. Next screen you then enter what you want searched but scroll down a bit first to click the "completed listing" box. Then hit search. This will yield you a list of similar items and what they actually sold for on Ebay. I've found that if you inform the seller of an overpriced item they may have, sometimes they will re-list it lower.

Heck I've even found photos of items that had previously sold in the newly listed item's description, so you weren't even seeing photos of the actual item being sold in the new listing. When confronted, those sellers say "oh, I don't have a camera so I just copied and pasted that other photo" RUN.

As always, when buying used items site unseen on eBay, it is gambling, plain and simple. You just need to do whatever it takes to stack the deck in your favor.

Reactions: cwk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.