• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to read beyond normal 108MHz?...

RangerPip2073

Dec 27, 2005
Washington
Hi fellas,
new to this forum, but i heard a rumor around of being able to read on a non-digital radio (you know the ones with the dials), beyond the normal FM 88-108MHz, so being able to listen to like 109MHz, with only some simple tools. i have looked around but have had no luck. anybody know where i could find a good..."Procedure" i guess, (cant find the word for it.) anyone help would be good thanks.

Um, I suppose you could, but what you'd hear won't be very useful. Everything from 108 to 136 is mostly AM, not FM. Air navigation, voice comms and weather satellites at 136 MHz.

A FM receiver won't be too useful, even if you discover which of the trimmer-cap adjustments set the dial's frequency coverage on an "analog" receiver.

Even if there was something there to hear the volume would be very low due to the detector bandwidth used in broadcast radios.Trying to listen to narrow band FM signals on a wide band RX results in very low audio.However as nomadradio said,there is nothing there to listen to in FM mode anyhow.If you can tune down to the bottom of the band and live near a ch 6 TV transmitter you can sometimes hear the TV audio.TV ch 6 is from 82-88MHz.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.