• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hows the bands in your area?

bluestallion

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 13, 2008
its a thursday night here, searching through the bands and seems kinda dead. been hanging around 7.200 and 14.300 and not hearing much. Was wondering how bands where in your area

Haven't had the radio on tonight but they were dead last night as well here in Alberta. Even the DXwatch website was fairly quiet.

Solar Storm(s) that hit here Tuesday evening has had HF pretty dull....
75m has been really flat in the mornings....if you don't have a KW...75 and 40m is almost useless till after Sunrise (close-in)...
Was on this morning, almost useless 50-200 miles...However 250-500 miles is down but workable...
Should be better for the weekend...SFI and Sunspot numbers are good just everything going straight through to space due to the couple of CME's that hit....
All the Best
BJ

Hey Gary, I've listened to you and the group on 75 in the early mornings, loud signals,
What do you use on the low bands, antenna wise

Jerry

Reactions: 1 person
10/12/17/75 have been up and down the last 3 days...been a bear on 10mtrs...the muppets around me have been fussing on 28am about the noises and then they are gone then fussing about the dx,hehe they are never happy in my area,hehe 73 de JW

There has not been much on the bands here in about a week or a little more...
Lots of JA stations in the afternoon on 15 but I got my fill of them.. Very spotty in the AM when I am not at work.. Just got to keep plugging along

daytime conditions have been varied for the last week with a couple of day during the mid-week where it was not worth turning the radio on. The other thing I am noticing in the north country is that as soon as the sky turns dark 20 meters is gone till the greyline stuff arrives the next morning, 40 and 75 meters we are seeing high noise levels which is kind of early for that to be happening here in Minnesota.

2 meters here is almost dead except for the old farts that like to talk about colonoscopys and other disgusting stuff.

Hey Gary, I've listened to you and the group on 75 in the early mornings, loud signals,
What do you use on the low bands, antenna wise

Jerry

Jerry you should have said Hello!
The antenna I use on 80-20 meters most of the time is similar to a "Lazy H"....
However there are some "FNB" mods...
1. It's Horizontal....
2. It's not a typical Center feed...I have "Backfired" mine

___________________* *___________________50ft above ground level
58ft each side

450 ohm ladder line.....| |
................................| |.......spacing between dipoles 34' 10"
Full twist/"Phase Shift".\ /

___________________* *__________________ 35ft above ground level
.......................Feed..|...|
Random length 450 line to Palstar AT4K tuner or my Double "L" tuner (presently my Palstar)....

My Double "L" is coupled to my Double Zepp(Doublet) presently@ 30ft
So certainly nothing Fancy!!!
Well there you have my back yard "Bird roost"(y)
Really does not do a bad job....be interesting to see that "Modeled":D
Hey thanks for asking!
Good Bunch of Guys on there...We have a good time...Join us next time!
All the Best
Gary

Sorry All for the lousy drawing!:cry:....Maybe I'll try an shoot a couple pics soon...

Last edited:
CONDITIONS

80 hasn't been bad nothing out far on digital though early in the evening, 20 good in the am , although haven't worked much some sstv on the state side, , don't work much DX after 50 plus years kind of tired of it unless they call me with my wire and 50 watts.

DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.