• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hp server power supply mod.

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
After a couple of weeks doing some research and watching videos I ordered an hp dps-1200sb to modify for high amperage gear (kl-503, 2970N2).
Cheap, easy to modify and work well according to sources. A couple of resistors and voila, so I hope! I'll photograph and document to share with others.
Hoping to zero in a variable 13.8 to 14.8 volts with about 70 +/- amps.

Credit to Mr bbi, Rainmaker Customs and 767 CB for doing the work and making it available to us Radio heads!

Above link is the one I bought that should be here Saturday.
More to come

The DPS-800GB's run really quiet. I put this one together (in a hurry lol) for a friend, still have the other one it was paired with in the shed with the power combiner board they plugged into.
IMG_20230127_145606943_HDR.jpg
DO NOT DRILL INTO THE FINGER BOARD TO ATTACH POWER POSTS, supposedly, there are buried traces inside them and drilling can screw them up!!! I folded the copper strap over the finger board and soldered it to both sides.

The sources named above have done some really good reviews and given really good suggestions so I'm hoping for good results. I'm going without the breakout board and will share the results.
That's great! I hope it works out.
I'm curious to see how loud, or quiet it is.
Brother, all sources also claim noise isn't an issue with this specific supply unless you try to squeeze every drop of juice out of it.

For the money if it does what they say then it's a heck of a bargain.

They do work well. HOWEVER make sure that you are using very good tight tolerance resistors that has caused a few problems from the get go. My friend and i bought and converted a half dozen back in April and for the most part they have worked well. If you do not seem to get what you think you should go back thru BBI's
facebook for people whom have had problems and how they fixed them.

They do work well. HOWEVER make sure that you are using very good tight tolerance resistors that has caused a few problems from the get go. My friend and i bought and converted a half dozen back in April and for the most part they have worked well. If you do not seem to get what you think you should go back thru BBI's
facebook for people whom have had problems and how they fixed them.
Will definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the tip.

I've got a good assortment of 5% but might need to get some 1%. I'll see how this works out.

I'm guesstimating 15k ohm and 15k ohm should work at a range of 13.8 to about 14.5 volts with about a 60 amp draw. Hopefully

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco and 999
You WILL want 1% if you are trying to hit the voltage range from the BBi videos.
You may have better luck than many of them but the 1 % gave the best stable voltages which was important if you want to parallel them.

Reactions: tecnicoloco and 999
Will definitely keep that in mind, thanks for the tip.

I've got a good assortment of 5% but might need to get some 1%. I'll see how this works out.

I'm guesstimating 15k ohm and 15k ohm should work at a range of 13.8 to about 14.5 volts with about a 60 amp draw. Hopefully
I would have to go back thru my notes but we did use the values that came from the first video.

I would have to go back thru my notes but we did use the values that came from the first video.
I'm guesstimating why I might use. Bbi wanted higher voltages than I'm after. If I can achieve a variable of 13.8 to 14.5 and get about a 60 amp draw then it's all I need. I just want it to have headroom for when I want to run the 2970n2 or the kl-503 with something.
Everything I've read has seemed to be positive but your language makes me believe you've had more bad then good with them. You obviously know more about these than me, should I be worried about achieving those numbers?

I'm guesstimating why I might use. Bbi wanted higher voltages than I'm after. If I can achieve a variable of 13.8 to 14.5 and get about a 60 amp draw then it's all I need. I just want it to have headroom for when I want to run the 2970n2 or the kl-503 with something.
Everything I've read has seemed to be positive but your language makes me believe you've had more bad then good with them. You obviously know more about these than me, should I be worried about achieving those numbers?
The voltages were easy to hit, However the current was hit or miss as the crowbar seemed to not be as stable unless the values were tight. As you are not using more than one at a time you should be ok. We did find that 1% worked better for the crowbar. Good luck let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I'm back to this one again so that it can power the amplifiers that will join the station soon.

So, I've done quite a bit of research since i started this endeavor and I found many suggesting 15k and 15k so that's where I started. I didn't achieve the 13.8 to 14.? but instead got 14.3-14.8. I'm contemplating whether to leave it or try some changes.

The amperage testing is still to come.

This stuff is super small so it isn't for the faint of heart.

I'll post pictures for others that might be venturing into this same territory.

More to come

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.