1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

HR-2510 Output

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Grinder74, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Grinder74

Grinder74 KE8EOJ

What do you guys, that own one, run your carrier and SSB at? Bought the radio last year and just fired it up. Carrier was burying my dost at 20W, didn't check SSB output yet. Dropped carrier to 4...

2. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

3. Grinder74

Grinder74 KE8EOJ

Thanks Andy. I'll have a look through the service manual but not sure I have all the stuff for a proper alignment. At work now so just seeing what people run at.

4. Handy Andy

Not to sound too dumb, but it's on the faceplate...

Two Fives and a Ten

25 SSB and Ten watts FM - so if you want AM modulation - best option? Run no more than 5 watts - it's low-level modulation (Original Jackson-style) so that means it doesn't come with an AM regulator.

But I've seen people use an NTE-37, A473 and a 945 with spare parts and relays in ways to do just that for BOTH the MRF477 and the 2166 on their own.

I don't recommend the conversion to AM regulation - simply due to those that have tried it have "phase" issues with signal quality in FM and AM modes and the MRF477 is UNOBTAINIUM.

Stock is best...

Grinder74 likes this.
  5. Low_Boy

Low_Boy Well-Known Member

I run my am dead key at 8 or 9. Never the 10 that the service manual calls for. SSB full open and back it down 2 or 1 watt if you prefer .Always sounds good and no complaints.

6. Grinder74

Grinder74 KE8EOJ

I'm not looking for swing, just proper tune. I had a Jackson, but it's been years. I have a large print schematic for it and a couple similar chassis. I'll check it more thoroughly when I get back from vacation.

7. Handy Andy

You'll see what I mean with low-level modulation - all done back at an IC 7320 - mixer and amp - which also had the audio that got applied to the mixed RF. Starts out at the start of the TX chain, and amplified all the way up.

SSB and FM start out similarly - only they don't use the audio amp in it - they use the mixers' ability to combine the PLL and Audio AN612 IF side - to form SSB or FM modes. Only AM envelope is applied (like the third part of all of this PLL, VCO IF and Audio) at the starting - origin - part of the TX chain.

Above all - run it at a power level that suits you. Just remember the Faceplate - 2510 means just that.

Have fun!

Enjoy the radio!
    :+> Andy <+:

cb4ever104 and Grinder74 like this.
  8. cb4ever104

cb4ever104 Member

I run my LINCOLN at 6/7W AM/FM , and around 18W SSB . No issues to date .

9. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

If your radio wasn't hacked up, the AM carrier should be good at 6 watts if the peak is around 25 watts. A good rule of thumb is divide peak power by 4 to set your dead key carrier level. This gives a 4:1 ratio which is widely accepted as ideal.

SSB power has no carrier (and shouldn't have) so feel free to turn it up to any level you need. The SSB power should be about the same as the AM peak power.

10. Low_Boy

The manual says 10W AM dead key.

11. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

You can do that but it's like turning the idle up on your car, it wastes gas, creates more heat, but doesn't make anymore power.

binrat likes this.
  12. Handy Andy

Well, you can be like me, much to the dismay of the x-XYL - had both the Owners Manuals and schematic to the 2510, Jackson and the Cobra 148GTL. So one day - asked her which would she like to use as wallpaper...:ROFLMAO:;)(y)

Found out the hard way...

Anyhoo, like what is being said, and perhaps the experience is showing - the STOCK power levels are relative. As you can tell in this thread, there are varying opinions, but not one says you should do more than what is recommended.

What it comes down to is; what is NOT being said - that speaks volumes about the aspects of what this radio means to them, as well as the Respect it gets from the owners.

No matter what - the final say, comes down to what you want the radio to sound like and do for you..

:+> Andy <+:

13. Low_Boy

Like I said in my first post. I like running my radio at 8 to 9 watts. I have many of the HR2510's Lincolns and HR2600's this is what I normally run. I have never had a problem and everyone I talk to says they sound great.

14. mechanic

mechanic Well-Known Member

I always ran mine at 18 to 20 watts SSB and about 5 on AM lasts longer that way! What's FM?

73 mechanic

fourstringburn likes this.