• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR 2510

Does it have the variable power mod done?? I'm a fan of the variable power that way you can just crank it down to the ideal keing power for the amp.

See other post in Amp thread.
For your application I would not do the VR power mod.
It is a 1 driving 4 amp ( I have never been a fan of amps with built in drivers)
If you screw up and bump the knob and do not pay attention to what is going on you can drive the shit out of the amp and not know it.
In this case if you set it and put the cover back on there is no chance of that happening.

Jeff

No Dis involved.
I have talked to Mod Squad many times and he sounds good on air.

The MRF 477/497 will do that but I know you understand that the way the RF chain is set up in the hr2510 they inject the audio before the last RF amplifier stage because less audio power ( this means a less expensive / lower power IC) can drive the final chain that is biased ab ( less efficient ) to full output with less distortion.
The way to bring that up requires much more modification than it will in a radio that uses High level AM........where the audio voltage is added in series with the DC supply voltage to the RF chain.
This causes the collector`s to vary at an audio rate..... this requires more parts ( a transformer for one) and more audio power because you are modulating BOTH the final and the driver at an Audio rate.
The final and driver are running in class C, and as the radios are modded the radio running class C will start to show distortion as it starts getting pushed hard.
....Ok so
Yes you did show us on the watt meter that the radio is doing 50 watts PeP,
How clean?
And how much work is required to get it there?

Mod Squad Has been in the game a long time and he also has been running this chassis for a long time and with time comes experience.
I have gotten some good results with the 2510 radios, but for the effort put into it you will achieve Better "swing" with less work in a hi level radio.
And in this case, where someone just wants to ""turn something"" to increase the swing it is not going to happen.
You are also going to get a cleaner running radio with the Low level radio, just be cause of the RF chain running in class ab.
So....
I will retract my statement that the 2510 """Can not swing like a cobra 29 AM only radio""
I will say that it will take MUCH more effort to make the radio Swing like a AM only cobra 29 radio.
And You can not just Open the radio and turn one VR and get results like this, the other Issue is how clean each radio is ( of course in the CB Band this is often not a concern) when it is approaching 50 watts PeP while whistling into the Mic.
What are you seeing just talking into the radio ..... can you do a Gate with just normal audio and not a whistle?
And it would be great to see the waveform on a scope but not everyone has one and many guys on this band do not care anyway.

Jeff

Awesome post! it does take a lot to make the 2510 "swing" like the video. Mod Squad does not add a transformer to achieve what you see in the 2510 test video (i checked) You ask how the radio in the above test video sounds? It sounds like mod squads radio that you are hearing when you talk to him. I dont know how it looks on the scope, wish i can tell you. Dont want to speak for mod squad too much as you can ask him more technical questions by messaging him on his youtube page.

If you need mod squads number, please pm me.

Thanks!

rogerbird

I have to give rogerbird props as he has helped me on numerous issues with the hr2510 and helped me get a few "dead" radios back alive again.

Thanks rogerbird!

Hi CSWGUY,
Change Q-132 from a MRF477 to a MRF 497. Change Q-134 from a 2sc2086 to an ECG-340. Be careful pinout on ECG-340 is opposite to 2sc2086!! Adjust VR 112 to 80-85 ma on USB. Move caps C-112 & C-116 to the bottom of pc board. Spread coils L-121 & L-123 for max power. Mod remove D-129. I replaced Q-134 & moved C-112 & 116 and I get a 65 wt output on sideband. Am power will give about 15 wt deadkey. If you set it to 12wts, it will swing to about 35wts. Hope this can help!

WIZARD-2k13

Also, if you want to get varible output, locate VR104{ALC} & VR 107{AM PWR}. Connect a spdt sw to 10k pot on underside of VR104. connect one side of sw to wiper side of VR104, the other side to VR104. Adjust VR104 to HI pwr; adjust 10k pot to desired LO pwr. On the other connection of sw, connect to underside of VR107; wiper side; the other to 47K pot. Adjust VR107 for desired LO PWR & 47k pot to desired Hi pwr.

WIZARD-2k13

I would suggest you just leave the stock transistor in the radio and put a small amp behind it, it is not worth the extra stress on a expensive transistor that is no longer made.
It is also not a good idea to remove D129, it defeats the AMC.
Just lift the emitter leg on the AMC transistor and add a 1K resistor to it as outlined in RogerBirds instructions.
I would also leave L-121 and L-123 alone.

I don't think CWSguy has been on the board for at least a year......

Jeff

hmm

Hey Jeff

Been with WWRF since its inception, prior to this site and was a contributing members years ago for alot of money. My old name was 927Mobile and OntarioCanada and 927Ontario

Been around along time lol..I was even around when Adam was advertising his crap and making false claims.

I'm always full of questions and crap but I take all the answers seriously and use them when possible, but not being electronic savvy I love the answers people provide as its a way to gather knowledge and knowhow.

Thanks for understanding Jeff and everyone who have posted here.

Cheers from the cold great lakes

Tight Lines
Duane

Attachments

• 94ef6c9a-84ac-4af6-af90-076c7b06cf7a.jpg
    94ef6c9a-84ac-4af6-af90-076c7b06cf7a.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 4

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.