• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 Display

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Hey Hey

As everyone knows I own a 2510, great radio and still sounds very clear and now the only issue im having is the display lighting is burnt out. :angry:

Any ideas for a LED upgrade.? Step by step instructions with photos and what is needed.

I am not knowledgeable in electronics or wiring so simple basic dummy details is best (y):unsure:

Cheers
Duane

I don't think you have to be a contributing member to do a forum or internet search. I'm going to replace the dimming bulb in my 2510 with an LED most likely. The OEM bulb is one of those 12-14V grain of wheat lamps. When I had the cover off to look at the bulb I seem to remember it was a pretty straight forward replacement and not difficult to access the bulb in it's plastic holder. It should be a drop in replacement with a wide angle 12v LED or you could get creative with an SMD led strip and some way to diffuse the light behind the display.

A good place for you to start is to pop the covers off and take a look inside. You 'll know pretty quickly if you want to do the light change yourself.

I noticed too that on my 2510, due to it's age. the display seems to be getting a little lighter as well. I can barely see the RF, SWR indicators. So, I'm wondering if its even a good idea to replace the original bulb with anything brighter that could wash out the aging display even more. Just something to consider.

I am presently going through this process. I've tried a few LED's, specifically extra bright and wide angle. The results are unsatisfactory. If someone can chime in with some LED they have found with good results, I'm listening.

I am presently going through this process. I've tried a few LED's, specifically extra bright and wide angle. The results are unsatisfactory. If someone can chime in with some LED they have found with good results, I'm listening.

Have you tried back lighting the display with LED's and a diffuser instead from the side? I replaced the meter bulbs in an Ameritron AL-811H with two bright orange LED's in each end of a 2 inch piece of opaque plastic tubing I got at the local hardware store. The LED's were large enough to fit snugly in the the ends of the tubing and the tubing diffused the light enough to light up the meters really nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.