• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT choice

lexus1

Jul 25, 2010
Dallas,Tx
Hello to all. Just started working on a license.
I am researching only HT's for now. After reading
some, the Wouxun looks affordable, complicated.
Also looking for other suggestions if possible.
Thx ahead.

Help us help you..

Are you just looking to do 2M/440?

Do you want to work satellites?

Is QRP (Low power) going to be your main thing? It will be with an HT...

Tell us more about which parts of the hobby you wish to do, and I'm sure you'll get more than enough answers...

brian

I would say to keep it simple.....

A HT is nice to have,and they do have their place in the radio world,but their range is very limited for general chatting. ( I have not heard alot about the HT you mention in your post...but keep in mind that you get what you pay for,for reliability and warrenty stay with the bigger makers such as Icom,Yeasu,Kenwood,Alinco)

Rather than get a HT spend a few more dollars get a mobil radio such as an Icom IC 2200H and set it up in your car or house. Get a 15 amp power supply to run radio in the house....Mobil radios can be bought in the same price range as the HT.... good single band mobil radios start around $160 and go up to about $250.....about the same price as a decent HT

For an antenna you can build a J- pole for under 20$ put it together yourself with just basic soldering skills and you have a good antenna.

Now I did find a nice base antenna to buy from Jetstream for under $50

Just a couple of weeks ago I actually made contact with the International Space Station with my 65 watt mobil radio rigged up in the house with the above mentioned J-pole antenna at just 30 feet off the ground...keep in mind that how high antenna is off ground does not effect talking to the ISS

If you want a write up for an antenna try this link and just enter the frequency you want ..I used 146.000 mhz

J POLE ANTENNA DESIGN CALCULATOR by K4ABT

side note: I just spotted this thread .......and dont be discouraged on a lack of replies.....

Actually the wouxun is simple in comparison to a lot of others if the manual was actually in english. The programming software makes it easier. You can download most of the operators manuals online for about any radio made, I doubt any are simple. Your best bet is to go to a local club meeting and ask questions of the members, you may even get some hands-on experience(no substitute, except for moleculo's videos).

I have mainly Yaesu radios, a vx6r, a vx8gr, and a ft-857d along with the wouxun. The programming is about the same for the three Yaesu. But if I had started with an Icom, their radios probably have similarities in programming and I may have bought all Icom. Basically, it doesn't matter what our opinions are, it depends on what YOU are comfortable operating, what is easiest for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.