• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HT's Getting Hot

Bob S.

Oct 28, 2008
Northwestern Otsego, Co., NY.
I've read that when using an HT, you shouldn't use high power/5 watts for more than 30 seconds, with a pause of 2 minutes in between transmissions or the ht will over heat and can cause damage to the finals. If so, why do the manufacturers build these radios with 5 watt output power to begin with? I'm thinking about buying one to carry on hunting/hiking trips and would probably need high power to hit the closest repeater in the area that I'll be in most of the time. Because of the over heating issue, I'm wondering if I should even buy one. cell phone coverage is limited at best and FRS/GMRS radios don't cut it in the area either. Would a longer flex or telescopic antenna possibly allow me to reach the repeater on a lower power setting? I'm just getting into the hobby/addiction and would appreciate any help that those of you with more experience could offer.

This is probably true for a lot of the HTs out there. It's not really that big a deal if you can remember to keep your transmissions short. 30 seconds on 2M is a LONG transmission, whether on an HT or from a mobile or fixed station.

You can cut 19-20" of copper wire and use it as a counterpoise with most HTs. That's a cheap and quite effective way to improve the efficiency of the antenna system. Attach it to the antenna common side (the shell of the connector). In most cases, when the antenna is attached it can hold the wire securely in place. Put an ounce or so of weight on the other end of the wire so it just dangles reasonably straight down. This provides the "other half" of the antenna system more reliably than your body does.

Reactions: mackmobile43
That's just the way they all are. There is no room inside for large heat sinks to mount the finals to. They simply aren't designed to rag chew on for extended periods. If you have to run 5 watts to get out then keep your transmissions short. Optimize the antenna with one of those longer extended gain jobs, which do work very well. That's all you can do. Wanna rag chew at length....sit in the car and do it from the mobile radio. No one can expect a small hand held radio to perform like a 50 watt mobile or base rig.

Good luck

Some HT's are better than others. Alot of them have the case designed as part of the heatsink and while this may lead to warm hands it helps a lot in the cooling. Most of the HT's that are built on a commercial radio platform are this way. Even my old Kenwood TH-G71A is basicaly a ham band version of a commercial HT. I forget the model but I remember when I bought it I decided I wanted an extra battery so the dealer took one from the box of stuff he was putting together for the CBC because the batteries and chassis were identical except the commercial unit was programmed differently. He figured they could wait longer than I could.

If you're out on the fringe area of a repeater, an after-market antenna will serve you better than using the antenna that came with your radio.

Look at the Comet long wire antennas. They are more efficient than the stock "rubber dummy load." And, they are flexible enough to keep from poking you or getting caught on brush and stuff like that if you keep your HT on your belt a lot. You "could" also mount your HT on your back pack and use a speaker/mic and you will have your antenna in the clear and higher up all the time. I've done that myself and found I had very good performance while hiking. An auxiliary "gel-cell" on a belt pack or in your back pack connected to the HT will give you a lot more operating time, too.

In terms of range per power unit, the difference between one watt and five watts is inconsequential, so just use one watt or the "mid" power setting. If one watt doesn't make the trip, five is only marginally better, but you are heating the radio unnecessarily and draining your battery faster.

In my opinion, HTs are not suitable for rag chewing.

Hope this helps. "May the Force be with you." ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1