• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HUGE solar flare yesterday X2.8 !! Radio blackouts expected

If you read the attached article you will see that the CME is supposed to hit or glance off Earth on December 17. Any radio blackouts will be then and not today.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled radio mayhem.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Already having influence on the bands now...
Conditions have actually been pretty good here today so far. Not hearing much international traffic on 555, but made a number of contacts around the US and Canada down on the FM frequency this morning in between work and errands.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Good conditions this morning in South Texas, I made a contact to Oregon on ssb and a couple of AM contacts out east. Yesterday was tough though.

Lots of action on the cb band and below channel 1.

Last edited:
Absolutely no conditions whatsoever up here today ! Yesterday was great and today nada...... across the whole band ! These solar flares always seem to wipe out conditions at these more northern latitudes (I'm just over 50 degrees north here).

No problems making contacts today. I hit Northern Ireland this morning and Southern California this afternoon.
Yesterday several contacts to England. I have been monitoring most of the weekend and heard many stations. I only called CQ a few times to check conditions.
Using vintage gear today. 1977 139XLR and 1974 Hygain 482 amp doing 100 watts. Good fun!
IMG_5786.jpeg

David

No problems making contacts today. I hit Northern Ireland this morning and Southern California this afternoon.
Yesterday several contacts to England. I have been monitoring most of the weekend and heard many stations. I only called CQ a few times to check conditions.
Using vintage gear today. 1977 139XLR and 1974 Hygain 482 amp doing 100 watts. Good fun!
View attachment 66825

David
I love my 139XLR I just wisht mine looked as good as yours. They sound great on sideband. I ran a Extreme 2018 microphone with mine. When I get it out of storage and back in action I need to find a good base microphone.

Codeman,
I came into the possession of the 139 many years ago. It was re-capped about 3 years ago. Then the driver and finals went south and the power supply took a dump. It is all stock except for the extra channels on the CB/PA switch and the PA jack on the rear converted to a foot key jack. All easily reversible.
You may notice the new meter (due to the orange needle)on the S/RF PWR meter side. It stopped working 6 or 8 months ago. I ordered a replacement and tripped across it this morning. Today I thought it may be time to install it so I wouldn't lose track of it again.
I recently bought the Workman microphone off e-bay to try on this 2970 I came to own. I tried it on the 139XLR and it seems to work well. I think it was $70.00 new in the box. It will probably stay attached to the 139 and it's baby brother 138.
(The 2970 is an audio Turd. Can't a decent modulation pattern out of it for nothing. It may stay on the spare parts shelf.)

David

Reactions: codeman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.