1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Humm interesting

Discussion in 'MURS / FRS / GMRS' started by Rwb, May 12, 2019.

1. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I use GMRS and MURS often

357magnum likes this.
  3. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

I dont live in an urban area, more rural and sparsely populated but I wonder if MURS is used like cb/chat in some places? Since the license requirements have been lifted I'm curious if activity has increased in some of the larger city/suburbs?? No activity around here at all. Just some local kids playing on frs from time to time but no GMRS use or repeaters at all..

4. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Mine is always active , I think I pick up commercial company's ? I don't leave them on scan but my cheap Midland GXT-325's work well & have some range in my rural area . I think I paid $60 for them 15 years ago . I don't use them often but just had to have them . :whistle:

5. w9cll

It is around here, channel 3 (151.940) is quite popular. GMRS is also popular in these parts

357magnum and Blackcat630 like this.
  6. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

I never used them but the mobil unit got my attention.might have to try 1

357magnum likes this.
  7. w9cll

Of the two I would pick MURS to start out with, no license and you can use external antennas. GMRS is more powerful and such but the $85 license fee is a bit steep to just try.

Bow and Rwb like this.
  8. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

Yes i noticed 85 dollars for license fee. Kinda kills that for me too

9. CDX8412

CDX8412 Active Member

I think the GMRS license fee is now $70, and it is valid for 10 years, so $7/year. Better than the previous $85 for 5 year fee.

Rwb likes this.
  10. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

maybe in another year they drop little more,but yes lots better than at the start