• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hundreds of watts per 2879 ???????????????????????

WM1200

WM1200+

Eight Power Transistors 2SC2879

Frequency Range 1.8-21.5 Mhz

Output 1200 watts plus on all bands

Driving Power 120 watts w/50 ohm input matching

DC Power Requirements: 13 VDC @ 175 amps

Soooo that is 150+ watts per?

By all means, im not hiding, Just cutting grass, I dont live on here like most.
And yes I did start the thread on QRZ to get some outside information from people unaffiliated with this thread. Because shockwave did get me thinking. But Like what was said, it would need an efficiency rating that is astronomical and unfeasible for our purposes. And just like I said, even the engineers agree that pulse is about all your gonna get, NOT sustained work.

And PRO151, my callsign is already on here in a few places.....Im not exactly hiding. As I already said, whoever wants to try this, be my guest. I have no desire to "RELIABLY" get this power because I keep my station and my amplifiers clean.

But I am man enough to stand up and say if I am arguing on the wrong side, and It seems in this case I am. But I still stand behind the fact that the harmonics have an adverse affect on watts meters, and more than 6.6%!!

To the moderators, I will apologize for the name calling.

DX Hound, I underestimated you and you have earned my respect for whatever it's worth to you. I do have to polity disagree on two minor points. The efficiency rating would not have to be high in order to obtain 250 watts output. You could actually decrease the efficiency all the way down to 50%. At that point you have 250 watts going into the load and 250 watts as collector dissipation. At 50% efficiency you could be running in the linear mode too.

The duty cycle at 250 watts would also not be limited to short duration pulse either. As W8JI commented, the duty cycle is related to the heat dissipation and the heatsinks ability to remove it. So long as you don't exceed the transistors dissipation and the heatsink is adequate, 100% duty cycle is possible at 250 watts.

Bravo! Bravo! Let the discussion continue.

I know that I have learned from this lively discussion and different viewpoints.

Like the beer commercial always said 'it doesn't get any better than this"

Bravo! Bravo! Let the discussion continue.

I know that I have learned from this lively discussion and different viewpoints.

Like the beer commercial always said 'it doesn't get any better than this"
But yet they continue to come up with better beer, oh wait the next beer is always better.

Good thread anyhoot.

10 pages in 4 days ... thats gotta be some kind of record . LOL

And No One Got Banned! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Lol, This Forum has come a Long way from what it was during the old EZ Board Days.
Thanks to everyone that sticks around and shares Info through the sometimes heated topics ....

73 to All

Jeff

i think i got banned over at wwpdx . LMFAO !!! it wont recognize my name and password over there anymore .
no biggie though , that place has become %80 watergate post over there .
first time ive been banned just for trying to make a post and have some discussion about it ;)

it is what it is :)

This is what I still dont get, 50 ohm nominal load, 18v with 250 watts is 13.89 amps. take 50% efficincy and that drops to 125 watts output.
to overcome this, would you not have to increase drive and thus double current. ??? That means you would be at 27amps per device and now reached the 250 watt dissipation limit. I just cant see this device sustaining at 27 amps.

P.S. I want to see the spec on that output filter assy in the WM1200, wonder if they would sell just it? and what its rated for? That would be perfect for my DX3200 10-160 project

This is what I still dont get, 50 ohm nominal load, 18v with 250 watts is 13.89 amps. take 50% efficincy and that drops to 125 watts output.
to overcome this, would you not have to increase drive and thus double current. ??? That means you would be at 27amps per device and now reached the 250 watt dissipation limit. I just cant see this device sustaining at 27 amps.

page 11 :)

Attachments

• aal0027l.jpg
    aal0027l.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 234
There you go Booty, I titled you as Banned so you can feel at home, let me know if you want it changed back

LMBFAO !!!!!
thatll work :) now , if i can get banned at sparkys .........

THANK YOU SIR ;)

P.S. I want to see the spec on that output filter assy in the WM1200, wonder if they would sell just it? and what its rated for? That would be perfect for my DX3200 10-160 project

These are good questions. 18 volts with 250 watts is 13.89 amps but you've calculated for a total input power of 250 watts. The maximum theoretical output would be when the collector dissipation itself has reached 250 watts. The input power required to do that will depend on the amplifiers efficiency. You also make a valid point I overlooked. At 18 volts it will not be possible to reach the maximum collector dissipation before you exceed the maximum current. However, with class C you don't need to come close to the maximum dissipation to make 250 watts output.

I have to admit I have learned some things from this tread also :) I thought the 2SC2879 was rated at 20 amps maximum collector current for the last 20 years. It's actually rated at 25 amps. Which explains why the 20 amps fuses in my protection circuit worked best at preventing transistor failure. It takes a few extra amps before that fuse is going to heat up and melt. Back then I didn't even have an amp meter that could read higher then 10 amps DC.

Last edited:
thanks to this forum and its admins/mods for allowing this ....... enthusiastic ..... sharing of comments to take place without freaking out or banning anyone :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.