• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hunter(s?) or lodges warned about their use of 144.45 MHZ.

Re: Hunter(s?) or lodges warned about their use of 144.45 MH

You know I have heard of this and I was at a ve session and we had just completed filling out the gentlemans paperwork and he said the reason he wanted his license so he can get an HT to deer hunt with.

What could I do, take back his test?

C W Morse said:
The bi-weekly FCC enforcement log is available at ARRL.org. if interested.

73 :)
CWM

Nothing wrong with that as far as I can see. At least he was trying to obtain a license and if he has a valid license he can use the HT with his buddies for any purpose except commerial use as long as they are licensed as well. The link CW was refering to was about lodges using radios on 144.45 WITHOUT a license.

You have to sorta, kinda wonder who put them up to that or gave them the idea they could do that.

It's like the "Marine Radio" in a car thing that crops up from time to time. Folks just don't realize, I guess.

73 :?

CWM

C W Morse said:
You have to sorta, kinda wonder who put them up to that or gave them the idea they could do that.

It's like the "Marine Radio" in a car thing that crops up from time to time. Folks just don't realize, I guess.

CWM

Here in Ohio it's illegal to use any radio apparatus for purposes of coordinating a hunt.

One hopes that whomever is steering folks into obtaining their amateur tickets so they may use a ham rig while hunting is also directing them to their local DNR regs regarding the matter.

Carrying a radio on your person - turned off, of course - is perfectly acceptable, and this includes equipment which is capable of operation in the GMRS, amateur, MURS, CB and related services. In fact, it's a good idea to have SOME form of 2-way communications available to you if you're hunting solo and are in the backcountry. But you cannot use the devices to coordinate deer drives, for example.

Edit - didn't see any of '...them thar truckers...' listed in the Aug 17 EA bulletin. But the MI 2M illegal operation issue looks to be an ongoing problem. IIRC, NOVs for unauthorized 2M usage have been issued against persons in that area since 2003. The persons involved are getting their (mis)information from somewhere...

C W Morse said:

73 :?

CWM

HAHAHA That reminds me when I was younger, 16 to be exact, I am now 40,, we took the marine radio from our boat when my parents went to Greece for 2 weeks and put it in our car and got a marine antenna from rat shack. I have been on the water long enough with my parents to know how to contact the marine operator to do a phone patch. We thought we were the coolest kids on the block to make phone calls using the marine operator to do the phone patch thing. She was the marine operator for Joliet harbor and she would laugh and giggle at us when we were talking to people on the phone/radio. We billed the calls to our phone account number that my parents had set up for the boat. We would call girls and meet them uptown and had a blast using the marine radio. She finally let us know that unless we were on the water we couldnt do that anymore.

We didnt know any better but it was fun

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.