• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hustler 6-BTV vertical HF antenna

Nice old thread.

...For radials I found when the yard was muddy it was fairly fast and easy to use a real large flat blade screwdriver to poke the wire a few inches into the ground and then put down a metal turf staple every foot or two...

perhaps the easiest way to do it is to use a sidewalk gas powered edge trimmer.

just walk it BACKWARDS and it will make a nice slit about 3 inches deep<More audio> drop in the wire and you're done.

I have 3 500 foot rolls of wire under mine

Question has anyone used 2 and mounted them in a V or horizontal position and used a rotor as well as a 1:1 balun and isolator in line and if so how did it fair and how much coax used between balun and isolator is ideal or can you just use an double male pl-259 too it directly? Or what legnth of coax does best job?

Another question on it.

has anyone taken a trap apart and if so what gauge wire is use and is it stranded or solid and if solid is it enameded magnetic wire or electrical pvc coated wire?

I have one of these up myself its an older model and yes it will still work without counterpoise wire radials but its better to have them all in all great antennas at a reasonable affordable price for the band coverage you get.

Do the instructions actually say that the ground installation is preferred vs on the roof or elevated?

antenna-3.jpg

antenna-2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Had one up years ago... performance was OK per instructions...
played around and added more
4 per band cut 5% over 1/4 wave length on each band...Big improvement!
Then added 4 more per band(total 8 per band)......
BIGGER improvement!

So in the end had 40+ radials...That's when it came to life at 1000+ miles out
Most DX'ers using full size verticals will tell you need a minimum of 30 per band...
All the Best
Gary

One final note: I chat with an op who uses a 63 ft. Vert on 75m with 45 radials (full length)...most conditions his Vert is 5-1o dB better than his dipole at 35 ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307
Had one up years ago... performance was OK per instructions...
played around and added more
4 per band cut 5% over 1/4 wave length on each band...Big improvement!
Then added 4 more per band(total 8 per band)......
BIGGER improvement!

So in the end had 40+ radials...That's when it came to life at 1000+ miles out
Most DX'ers using full size verticals will tell you need a minimum of 30 per band...
All the Best
Gary

One final note: I chat with an op who uses a 63 ft. Vert on 75m with 45 radials (full length)...most conditions his Vert is 5-1o dB better than his dipole at 35 ft.

Back in 1986 when I installed a new AM transmitter site I christened the new antenna system by loading it up on 75/160m before the site was commissioned. It consisted of a single vertical radiator which was a 160 foot tower with 24 inch faces and 120 radials each 170 feet long. If I whispered the Europeans were telling me to stop yelling. :D

Reactions: BJ radionut

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.