• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hydro-Ground Rod Installation by K0FF

B

BOOTY MONSTER

interesting article on installing a ground rod . i 'll highly suggest reading the member comments too because there are some some tips/suggestions in them also that seem very promising .
how did you install your ground rod ?
got any tips you'd like to share ?

http://www.eham.net/articles/23198

"Hydro-Ground rod installation:

Driving ground rods can be a pain. This method is easy, although if you have never tried it or seen it done, it is OK to be doubtful. It does work though, we have used it with good results.

If your soil is not too rocky, no hammer needed.

Dig a small pit, about the size of a soda can in the location where the ground rod is to be planted. Fill this hole with water. Insert the ground rod into the center of the hole. Work the ground rod up and down, easy with no force. After a few strokes there will be a noticeable hole into which the rod will go down. It is important to pull the ground rod out of the hole completely each time, letting the hole fill up again with water. It is the water making the hole, not so much the ground rod.

After a few more strokes, more water will need to be added to the hole. Pretty soon the ground rod will go way into the earth. Small pebbles are no problem. he very last stroke should drive the ground rod below the level of the earth, which is where it needs to be, completely underground (by code).

When the hole is dry again, clamp the ground wire or strap to the top of the rod, cover the connection with grease, cover that with an aluminum can for protection and bury it. A bit of salt in the water will improve the ground's usefulness, also ground up charcoal is good for that.

Usually 8 foot rods go in without a hammer.

I was introduced to this method by my friend Al, W0DYI (SK) a long time ago. He was an electrician and told me they often used this method.

I added one more step, since ground rods are expensive but copper water pipe is cheap, a ground rod will just fit inside the waterpipe, let the water pipe go along for the ride, remove the rod, leave the water pipe in the ground. No hammer damage to the pipe this way.

I know, you think it is a joke. It is not a joke, it works!

Geo, K0FF"

I have heard of this too. The water breaks the ground up as a lubrication effect. I give myself a much bigger head start and dig a deep a hole as possible first with post hole diggers. 8 feet is a long way to go.

Another cool thing to know is these groundronds do not have to be straight down when put in the earth. The can be put on angles at less feet down in the earth. This is nice info for people that live on rocky soiled ground.

Or, use that pipe as the ground rod. To make it really easy, connect a water hose to the to end of that pipe and turn the water on. point the thing in the direction you want it to go (as in down). It doesn't have to be full water pressure, just half will burry that pipe in a short time...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio