• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I am shocked, totally shocked!

paws264

Apr 6, 2005
Hams Acting Like CBers

While reading a post in another section of this message board, I came accross this:

C W Morse said:
C'mon now! :D You asked about 80 Meters! And you came BACK with 10,15 and 20! The facts ARE: (and I said so in my original reply) 75 Meters on a mobile auto-tuner and a whip will STINK *IF* it is compared with a large diameter center-loaded
whip (bugcatcher) OR a screwdriver. All one has to do is read the California antenna shootouts on various ham websites! :D Take a DK3 by Don Johnson and both of you talk at the same time with the same type radio and 100 watts, the screwdriver will WALK over the top of the tuner/whip combo! :oops: It has nothing to do with *my* screwdriver or anyone else's. It is simple, proven antenna
theory in practice. Forty meters is almost as bad! :shock: Now, I SAID that the frequencies would work pretty good above 20 Meters with the autotuner, now didn't I! :p "

Doesn't that constitute "Malicious Interference", the 2 stations transmitting, trying to "Key" over each other?

Hmmmm......!

C2 said:
you really got him on the carpet now, paws. :roll:

C2, I can see that you are not as incensed about this issue as I am; how dare he even suggest that licensed Amateur Radio operators are sitting in their cars with radios transmitting on the same frequency trying to get a "Radio Check"!

"Shooing-out" is not something that 'Civilized' (professional Amateurs) radio operators do, only those CBers, especially the ones from the fourth call sign area.

I gotta contact an "Official Observer" to make sure that those rogue Ham operators stop doing things to make themselves look like those CBers operators.

NO YOU DO NOT! The participants select an EMPTY frequency.
Each participant transmits a short test at the 100 watt level because that is the nominal power used by most hams and identifies his station in the normal way according to Part 97 TRANSMITTER TESTING *IS* ALLOWED SO LONG AS IT DOES *NOT* INTERFERE WITH OTHER ONGOING COMMUNICATIONS. The results are recorded :evil: Testing, inventing, recording, documenting IS PART of Amateur Radio and it is done according to specific rules. The CB keydown events are illegal to BEGIN with because there are:

1. NO provisions for such hobby competitions in Part 95.

2. They are done at ridiculous and illegal amounts of power.

3. They are done not to test the efficiency or performance of
legal and worthwhile equipment, but for the sole pur-
pose of keying OVER each other and for "bragging rights".

4. Did I mention that they are against the law?

Gentlemen, check on that of which you speak before making your suspected ignorance of radio a FACT! :shock:

Now go chew on THAT awhile! :D :D :D

CWM

I googled "California Antenna Shootout" and got some returns, I went to the site and, those are not "Shoot-outs" in our sense of the term.

The receiving station is a field strength meter and, I believe that they change antennas to compare them on transmit to the field strenght meter. They adjust the power in to see the different effectiveness of the antennas at a distance.

I cannot see any "Purses" or side bets at this shoot-out, somebody wake me when it's over!

I gotta get me one of those "Bug Catcher" antennas.

Paws/AE

paws264 said:
I googled "California Antenna Shootout" and got some returns, I went to the site and, those are not "Shoot-outs" in our sense of the term.

The receiving station is a field strength meter and, I believe that they change antennas to compare them on transmit to the field strenght meter. They adjust the power in to see the different effectiveness of the antennas at a distance.

I cannot see any "Purses" or side bets at this shoot-out, somebody wake me when it's over!

Paws/AE

ahh ...so its a keydown thats so boring that the only thing that listens is a meter

:roll:

bcrewcaptain said:
paws264 said:

Paws/AE

ahh ...so its a keydown thats so boring that the only thing that listens is a meter

:roll:

Maybe, but you have to understand that what the hams are looking for is not "the biggest, baddest mudduck stomper", but attempt to see which antenna is the best performer. The science becomes the "fun" when one gets the knowledge gleaned by from the result. It is also how real antenna theory is put to the test, how they find out how the "Why's" of it all. The CB "keydown" is not exactly an intellectual endeavor.
Whereas these guys probably bought that huge coil antenna, the hams in their tests often MADE their own bugcatcher(s) and screwdrivers; not in ALL cases, but certainly in more cases than those hazardous keydowns (anytime there's enough RF floating around to pop out cassette tapes I don't want to be there) :shock: CB keydowns are about POWER that feeds empty egos; the California antenna tests (I called them "shootouts" to let folks relate somewhat to the activity) produce a result that the hams can take home and USE later; KNOWLEDGE! :D

CWM

Who cares, all that seperates a cber from a ham is the ability
to draw a bunch of dots. Big deal.

Abuse alcohol
drugs

the radio is not a big deal.

Have fun is the deal.

bcrewcaptain said:
ahh ...so its a keydown thats so boring that the only thing that listens is a meter :roll:

LOL!!!

Hey, a professional amateur is an oxymoron, right?

CW Morse said:
1. NO provisions for such hobby competitions in Part 95.

I stopped at #1. I don't see any provision in part 97 either.

I explained that. If I want to make short tests, transmissions, I am do so as long as I identify and do not interfere with ongoing, already-existing communications. There ARE no "keydowns" WRT Amateur Radio. They are tests to determine the effectiveness, or relative strength, of various antennas compared to each other. When they are conducted and the participants IDENTIFY with their callsigns, it is perfectly legal.

CWM

C W Morse said:
I explained that. If I want to make short tests, transmissions, I am do so as long as I identify and do not interfere with ongoing, already-existing communications. There ARE no "keydowns" WRT Amateur Radio. They are tests to determine the effectiveness, or relative strength, of various antennas compared to each other. When they are conducted and the participants IDENTIFY with their callsigns, it is perfectly legal.

CWM

No differant than checking SWR. Those are one way transmissions as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.