• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I can't use ham to replace cb

I dont think there is a rule about talking to another station that is near by. I talk to another ham that is down my street. That is legal. Thre are so many bands to choose from on ham radio. 11 meters will offer you local QSO, the occasional stateside skip and not much else because this cycle kinda sucks. Study for your ticket and upgrade. you will be glad you did. After all you know you want to.

Kind of like... Harley Davidson,if I had to explain it to you,you just wouldnt understand

But seriously 250$ for a 2 meter radio and antenna and a tech class ham ticket and you will be good to go

If it was me that is where I would be looking

Prices

Ham radio does not have to be expensive at all if you know what to look for. A lot of times you can find decent used equipment for a fraction of the cost that will last you years. The first couple of radios that I purchased after becoming a Tech were less than 100.00 (mobile units mind you) and my first dual band was around 150.00. As far as the antennas for 2/70cm I would just build my own and not even waste my time paying $50-60 for something I can build with stuff laying around.

The real challenge here is not finding the money for the best of the best equipment but making out with what you have and using your head to make it all work. That is why I enjoy ham radio.

Try understanding the technical aspect of it and you will find it more enjoying and satisfying in the end.

Mike

Find a club, find a club, find a club. Anyone thinking about becoming a ham or a new licensee.

ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page has a 'clubs' link up at the top somewhere, check it out. You'll likely have to ping a few of them to find one that is responsive though.

Once you know people, they can advise you about local conditions. What frequencies and modes are most active and also many times, you can get deals on used equipment...sometimes even free stuff.

The right people can save you a lot of money and time when you first get going. Just don't forget to pay it forward...it's what the hobby is about.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.