• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I Did This Backwards

U

Uncle Levi

Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new to the forum and I need some advice. I'll admit right off the bat, I'm a CBer because I drive truck for a living(day trips so I'm home every nite), but I studied my tail off and passed my written and code test and have my General class license. (KB0SNE). Now...... I'm looking for a radio. Am I better off starting with 2 meter for awhile, getting everything I can legally operate with my General privilages, or just holding off until I go spend some time with the guys and gals at the local club to see what's what. Like I said, I know I did this backwards, but I REALLY wanted to get my General license while I had the time to study. I need advice from some of you who know what's going on. Sorry this sound like kind of a screwball deal(even to me). :?:

Hello levi, first of Welcome to the forum.

Ok I am not a ham yet, but it probably depends on what band you are wanting to talk on the most. And what you are wanting to spend.

If it was me and the money wasnt a issue I would buy a radio that had the bands I was able to talk on. That way if I found people I wanted to talk on I could.

Uncle Levi get a nice rig, one that fits your needs and budget.Not really knowing what your interest are with ham radio all i can say is get the best you can with the $ you got. :D
UL the reason i say this is you can grow with radio,not outgrow.
Now if you feel more comfortable starting with 2 meters and this kind of set up is more your budget go for it.You can always make that bigger purchase later and still have 2 meter rig as back up.
Now if your want to know what type of rigs are on the market first you need to let us know what your interest are with ham radio and what kind of price range you have.

I don't know that there's a "backwards" way to do it....it's whatever works for you!

I think budget is a big criteria here. Without knowing what you can spend, it's hard to make a recommendation. You can find decent used 2m/HF rigs for around $500 - $600. You can also find decent used 2m/440 mobiles for around $200. What's in your wallet?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.