• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I Don't Understand - No ARES/Skywarn Activations

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Days-in-advance severe weather storm line predicted. Comes to fruition. Huge long line of strong thunderstorms. Tornadoes on the group with significant damage and at least 1 death in NW Ga.

No Ga. ARES HF activation on 3.975

No formal ARES or Skywarn nets going on N Ga. repeaters in harm's way that I've heard.

Disappointing level of inactivity.

I'm wondering what it takes for Ga. ARES to activate and these local Skywarn folks to show up. There are groups everywhere and they train and train and practice and practice and then when something happens....... nowhere in sight.

???

Reactions: 1 person

same here in west TN, we had sustained 70 MPH straight line winds for over 3 hours and numerous tornado touchdowns quite close.

I did get a NOAA weather 'lert on my cell phone:blink:

Reactions: 1 person
Fat people hate cold weather.

27493d1268002284-whackers-roll-call-ares1.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
im not a member of local radio club...but was asked 5 yrs ago to bring up wx nets...i do it for them,and it was funny...only 2 checked in from 2pm till 5pm...the strms where really bad in my area but not as bad as some...after everything was done and over with,they came out of the wood work,must of wanted to watch Judge Judy...hehe 73 de JW

Funny story concerning this I heard yesterday. I was talking with one of the local cb operators yesterday evening before the storm rolled in. I suppose on the news they sent out a call for amateur radio operators. He got on the radio and said " Hey they're looking for amateur radio operators, you and I aren't amateurs, I've been on here 13 years and you've been on longer than that. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing and he was serious. He didn't know that meant ham radio operators.

Reactions: 5 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.