• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

i got this friend...

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
No, Seriously! not me.
He drives for a rock hauling company that has cracked down on drivers for running big power radios in the trucks. so i sold him a favorite of mine, Uniden 66. i got a few of them. now hes wanting it to be louder. I told him to turn the talkback up. It will feel louder then. ha. not what he wanted to hear.

anyway, he was reading about the TopGun Modulator Board and wanted to know if it would work in his 66. I told him i didnt know anything about it but would check into it.

So to all you radio guros, what do you think? would it make louder audio and still be clear? The 66 is at 100% audio now. And as far as i know, "Thats All Folks" as the saying goes. I told him im NOT going to make his radio sound or work bad no mater what he wants. I just dont do that!

comments?

No, Seriously! not me.
He drives for a rock hauling company that has cracked down on drivers for running big power radios in the trucks. so i sold him a favorite of mine, Uniden 66. i got a few of them. now hes wanting it to be louder. I told him to turn the talkback up. It will feel louder then. ha. not what he wanted to hear.

anyway, he was reading about the TopGun Modulator Board and wanted to know if it would work in his 66. I told him i didnt know anything about it but would check into it.

So to all you radio guros, what do you think? would it make louder audio and still be clear? The 66 is at 100% audio now. And as far as i know, "Thats All Folks" as the saying goes. I told him im NOT going to make his radio sound or work bad no mater what he wants. I just dont do that!

comments?
You want the SP1a "processor", going to boost the average modulation% but not make the radio go over %100 (that is set during a "peak/tune" or when they build the radio)
(I have no idea how much better this is over a "standard issue" power mic)

http://www.topguntec.com/tgt_sp_1a_inst.htm

The MD-1 is designed for export style radios, Galaxy, Connex, Ranger, President Grant DX (not the XL), Magnum, Super-Star. It won't work in a Cobra 29/25 Uniden66/78

The TopGun modulator is a wonderful circuit which relies on negative peak suppression and high positive peak drive. It is referred to as asymmetrical modulation. Works really good too. I have a radio that has that built into it from the factory. You can have a dead key set at 2 watts and positive peaks to full radio output.

Reactions: TheRealPorkchop
The TopGun modulator is a wonderful circuit which relies on negative peak suppression and high positive peak drive. It is referred to as asymmetrical modulation. Works really good too. I have a radio that has that built into it from the factory. You can have a dead key set at 2 watts and positive peaks to full radio output.
Only problem is, it is useless for transformer modulated AM only radios like the one longhaireddwb described. ;) (PC-66)

Last edited:
well, im glad i asked.
yes, he is using a power mic. think its a square Astatic one. i dont work with him but i remember him saying he got this mic a couple months ago. i told him its not needed but to keep 8t at only 2 or 3 on the mic.
i can now tell him the board he wants is made for other radios and not his 66.

ill still check out that link posted above for my own learning. And im still learning every day. thank god.
properly installed? Im now intrieged. please explain more if you would.

Reactions: bob85 and LeapFrog
well, im glad i asked.
yes, he is using a power mic. think its a square Astatic one. i dont work with him but i remember him saying he got this mic a couple months ago. i told him its not needed but to keep 8t at only 2 or 3 on the mic.
i can now tell him the board he wants is made for other radios and not his 66.

ill still check out that link posted above for my own learning. And im still learning every day. thank god.
properly installed? Im now intrieged. please explain more if you would.
While there might indeed be a transformer in the modulation circuit there are still transistors and I.C.'s in circuit. The Top Gun modulator is wave shaping or signal conditioner if you will. The one I have every time I use it I get offers to buy from me.

and this was installed in a AM only radio like a cobra, uniden or something of the same sort of radio?
Id be willing to give it a try/test. its not my money. ha. I'll just be sure to tell him which one to buy. I dont think they cost much anyway.

but ill let him know before hand that if is overdrives the audio im going to remove it. I do all his repairs on radios for nothing and sold him the radio for next to nothing. its all fun but i wouldnt want anyone to think i do poor work.

and this was installed in a AM only radio like a cobra, uniden or something of the same sort of radio?
Id be willing to give it a try/test. its not my money. ha. I'll just be sure to tell him which one to buy. I dont think they cost much anyway.

but ill let him know before hand that if is overdrives the audio im going to remove it. I do all his repairs on radios for nothing and sold him the radio for next to nothing. its all fun but i wouldnt want anyone to think i do poor work.
I don't think a radio that has single side band is going to be so different. The radio that I have is the S45 HP and it came in the radio. Exitthirteen probably has done a few of those and might be able to talk you through.

I think it would if properly installed.
http://www.topguntec.com/tgt_md_1_inst.htm
I don't see any Cobra or Uniden AM only radios on that install list, because that product (MD-1) is not compatible with an AM only Cobra or Uniden radio (such as Cobra 25/29 Uniden PC-66/68/78) NO AM REGULATOR CIRCUIT, if one replaced the transformer with a custom circuit, then yes it could be possible .

While there might indeed be a transformer in the modulation circuit there are still transistors and I.C.'s in circuit. The Top Gun modulator is wave shaping or signal conditioner if you will. The one I have every time I use it I get offers to buy from me.
topgunmp1.jpg

Tallman, are you tellin' me that Exit13 can put this (MD-1) in a 29 ? o_O
I don't think you could "properly install" this and still use the factory modulation transformer.....

If this was super easy to pull off (and it is with about $30 worth of parts, and a P.C.) mmm & asymod boards wouldn't be as popular, I mean that in-regards-to clean "super-modulation" not audio bandwidth capabilities.

Edit: I think Tallman was talking about the SP1a speech processor, my apologies for going Rambo..
Double Edit: bob85 is correct, I was trying too hard to be a "nice guy", & being a gentleman is always respectable, but yeah.

Last edited:
Leapfrog, your link is to the MD1. if you look at the previous link above, its for the sp1. (i think it was) and it says 4 pin uniden, cobra, galaxy, etc...

im still hesitant so i sent a pm to exitthirteen asking for his opinion. guess we might learn something here. at least i will.

Leapfrog, your link is to the MD1. if you look at the previous link above, its for the sp1. (i think it was) and it says 4 pin uniden, cobra, galaxy, etc...

im still hesitant so i sent a pm to exitthirteen asking for his opinion. guess we might learn something here. at least i will.
The SP1a is almost universal, we are talking about two different products.
Yeah the speech processor is a good idea, just don't expect the radio to be "loud" like it would be if the modulation was allowed to exceed %100..

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.