• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I guess that I am making some kind of mistake here??

FULL_MEDIC,

if you got them from RF parts, then they are the real deal.
90 bucks! ouch!

Remember that the emitter and collector on your MRF497's are switched around from the way they are on the stock finals. (2SC2312's)
you will need to bend those two pins in order to accommodate the new pinout.
be sure to put some heat shrink tubing on the middle lead to prevent any accidental shorting.

you will also need to re-set the bias after your parts change.
LC
Well Cannon, that would be a big help if you included directions on how to do that. . . . don't forget I am working from a mod doc. from the net??

Well Cannon, that would be a big help if you included directions on how to do that. . . . don't forget I am working from a mod doc. from the net??
FULL_MEDIC,

if you got them from RF parts, then they are the real deal.
90 bucks! ouch!

Remember that the emitter and collector on your MRF497's are switched around from the way they are on the stock finals. (2SC2312's)
you will need to bend those two pins in order to accommodate the new pinout.
be sure to put some heat shrink tubing on the middle lead to prevent any accidental shorting.

you will also need to re-set the bias after your parts change.
LC
you must have seen the mod. . . . you only need to punch into google mod's for the rci ranger?

Well, keep going - some assembly required - that means you...as in ...have to do it...:)

Just remember the MRF497 is a BEC not a BCE pinout. Meaming if you try to wire this up without making the proper changes, BOOM.

That means the Emitter is to the TAB and Center leg, not like the older parts they replace which a 2312 uses BCE and the 1969 is also BCE - get a datasheet for these parts as you can - it helps to review them when you want to go big, you can wire it up right and not go boom...

PDF's attached...look for them at the bottom of this post before the next post...The 2312 and 1969 are also included - and you'll see by the detail drawing they use COLLECTOR to TAB - while the MRF-497 is EMITTER to TAB - meaning it is not a drop-in working part.

Verify the parts you get are genuine.
yes the mod warns of the different pinouts, and they indicate that you should cross the two legs to make it correct, I intended on soldering a short lead of 14GA. wire from each leg and then sliding just enough shrink sleeve tubing over each leg and then cross the two legs that are incorrect and then soldering them to the solder side of the board, then of course putting sum epoxy on the front of the mrf497 and bonding the 1n914 diodes to the Mrf 497's. I think that should do it quite nicely? And by the way:giggle:

Dag nab it! It's no fun when the O.P. hijacks his own thread. You're gonna fit right in here with the rest of the patients. Now take your meds and have a nap.
Naw' Tallman the kind of meds that I take don't put you to sleep. . . . . At least not right away, it's kinda' like a science, it takes practice to know exactly when to fill up the glass & when to chew the next tab. . . LOL

Reactions: Tallman
OH MAN. . . . .. . . . . SHE IS MAKING GRAVY TODAY, YOU GUYS MAY NOT UNDERSTAND,THIS IS UNUSUAL TO SAY THE LEAST. GRAVY!!! IS ONLY SERVED ON SUNDAYS!! i CAN SMELL THE SAUSAGE AND MEATBALLS FRYING IN THE PAN, GETTING READY TO GET DROPPED ONE BY ONE INTO THE GRAVY, THE WHOLE FING HOUSE SMELLS SO GOOD I'M DYING. . . . i'M GONNA SNEAK INTO THE KITCHEN AND BREAK OF THE ELBOW OF THAT CRISPY ITALIAN BREAD, THEN DUNK IT IN THE GRAVY, THEN PATT IT EVER SO LIGHTLY INTO THE GRATED PECORINO ROMANO CHEESE!!! OH MAN BELIEVE ME IT'S LIKE YOUR IN HEAVEN!! I ONLY WISH THAT YOU GUYS COULD TASTE THE MEATBALLS. . . THEY ARE SO LIGHT THAT THEY JUST FLOAT OF THE FORK, NO BS. MY FATHER TAUGHT MY WIFE TO COOK, HE WAS A MASTER CHEF, GOD REST HIS SOUL. THIS RECIPE GOES BACK 3 GENERATIONS MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER HAD GIFTED HANDS. MY GOD YOU GUYS NEVER TASTED RICOTTA PATTIES, OR STUFFED ARTICHOKES,STUFFED WITH VERY FINELY DICED GARLIC AND BREAD CRUMBS, TOPPED WITH A SQUEEZE OF JUST A HINT OF LEMON!! STEAMED IN CHARDONNAY WINE, OR SO MANY OTHER GENUINE SOUTHERN SICILIAN DISHES. . . . I ONLY WISH YOU COULD SMELL THRU THE PC!!:(

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
OH MAN. . . . .. . . . . SHE IS MAKING GRAVY TODAY, YOU GUYS MAY NOT UNDERSTAND,THIS IS UNUSUAL TO SAY THE LEAST. GRAVY!!! IS ONLY SERVED ON SUNDAYS!! i CAN SMELL THE SAUSAGE AND MEATBALLS FRYING IN THE PAN, GETTING READY TO GET DROPPED ONE BY ONE INTO THE GRAVY, THE WHOLE FING HOUSE SMELLS SO GOOD I'M DYING. . . . i'M GONNA SNEAK INTO THE KITCHEN AND BREAK OF THE ELBOW OF THAT CRISPY ITALIAN BREAD, THEN DUNK IT IN THE GRAVY, THEN PATT IT EVER SO LIGHTLY INTO THE GRATED PECORINO ROMANO CHEESE!!! OH MAN BELIEVE ME IT'S LIKE YOUR IN HEAVEN!! I ONLY WISH THAT YOU GUYS COULD TASTE THE MEATBALLS. . . THEY ARE SO LIGHT THAT THEY JUST FLOAT OF THE FORK, NO BS. MY FATHER TAUGHT MY WIFE TO COOK, HE WAS A MASTER CHEF, GOD REST HIS SOUL. THIS RECIPE GOES BACK 3 GENERATIONS MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER HAD GIFTED HANDS. MY GOD YOU GUYS NEVER TASTED RICOTTA PATTIES, OR STUFFED ARTICHOKES,STUFFED WITH VERY FINELY DICED GARLIC AND BREAD CRUMBS, TOPPED WITH A SQUEEZE OF JUST A HINT OF LEMON!! STEAMED IN CHARDONNAY WINE, OR SO MANY OTHER GENUINE SOUTHERN SICILIAN DISHES. . . . I ONLY WISH YOU COULD SMELL THRU THE PC!!:(

Doc, I call and raise you my wife's homemade Taco soup we're having tonight! :D
Anyone else want in? This is a high-stakes game. (y)

YEAH TALLMAN BUT IM GONNA DIE WITH A BIG SMILE !!!
PLUS I DECIDED A LONG TIME AGO, IF IM GONNA DIE I WANT TO DIE OF SOMETHING GOOD!

HEY THAT TACO SOUP SOUNDS GOOD. . . . BUT TONIGHT I GUARANTEE THAT I'LL PUT AWAY A LEAST A 1/2 POUND OF "ANGEL HAIR PASTA" AND MAYBE MORE IF I DON'T EAT TO MUCH SAUSAGE AND MEATBALLS, OH MY GOD AND THE FRESH CRISPY ITALIAN BREAD TO SOAK UP THE GRAVY WITH, MADONNA

Reactions: Riverman
05F7DE74-5D3F-4009-A3C2-811AB1724B1D.gif

Reactions: Riverman
Doc: Yea Gravy...never got use to that term...My Wife calls it that! She got that from Her Grandfather's restaurant in Chicago...The Votoulo's Family restaurant.
I however call it a sauce!...I got my recipe from My Uncle Eugene Tonittii who had a restaurant in SW Indiana back in the 60's...
She hates to cook, so I do it...which I enjoy and I am not bad...
This Sunday will not be "sketti" but Lasagna...Not sure about Turkey Day Yet... Homemade Cranberry Sauce Sensation for sure...I have been begged to make My Homemade Italian "Crunchy" bread also with Homemade White Bread...That is time consuming stuff...
But Happy Wife...Happy Life!!!

But I am buttering her up...I want a new Yaesu HF transceiver after
first part of New Year!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary
yaesu101mp_1.jpg

Hmm Hmm Good!:rolleyes::LOL::LOL::LOL:

FULL_MEDIC,

oh yeah, i am aware of the mod. I've done more than a few MRF497/477 swaps way back when.

what i found back then was that rarely, if ever, did simply replacing the finals yield a significant power increase. sometimes it was less, sometimes it was a few watts more.

only when i started changing cap values, re-setting bias controls, and upgrading the AM modulator section did i get a 'significant' increase, by which i mean like an extra 10-20 watts over the stock finals.
that's still not enough of an increase for anyone to notice but me and my wattmeter, but i did have fun.

in my experience, 2950's had no problem doing 50 watts PEP with just tuning and some part value changes, and even if i had gotten the radio up to 100 watts PEP with the new finals, it still would have only been a 1/2 an S-init increase in anyone's receiver.

I don't say any of that to discourage you from doing the mod, just to give you some realistic expectations. after all, sometimes we do mods that only we ourselves notice, but we still had fun and learned!

good luck,
LC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.