• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I just don't get it

KG0MN

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 5, 2010
I was watching a Hustler 5 BTV auction on Ebay and thing that really got my attention is the person was wanting $42.97 to ship the antenna which in mind is a huge amount of money for that antenna. To make a long story short the antenna sold for $142.50 now add the shipping cost and if my math skills are correct that is a total of $185.47.

Now lets go shopping and I choose DX Engineering since that is where I got my 6BTV vertical and see what a new antenna just like it would cost. The antenna selling price is $159.95 and the great parts is this little line on the ad.

"Order this item and get free delivery and handling on your entire order! Offer excludes truck freight fees. Valid on orders shipped in the contiguous United States."

So here he could have gotten a new antenna without the fear of missing parts for about $30.00 less. Remember to check prices before pulling the trigger on ebay items.

Reactions: 3 people

Antennas are not cheap to ship. It's not that they are heavy but usually are priced on their length and girth as well as weight. Perhaps the seller was shipping via a courier and not USPS. I had antennas shipped from Toronto and the price was crazy via courier but much cheaper via Canada post. Hell MFJ wanted almost $100 to ship a Hygain DB1217 up here two years ago. I bought an A3WS from Ontario cheaper.

But if you make your own antennas from scratch DX Enginneering ships cheap.

P.S. it's just the hubs and such that costs unless you have access to a machine shop.

Last edited:
he was shipping it with the post office and if you wanted it sent 1st class insured it was $76.36

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.