• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I-max 2000 burned out????

gunsmoke241

May 30, 2005
Virginia
these antennas rated @ 5000 pep??? well i dont think so i was doing no more than 1500 watts dead key ..swing 2500 bird watts.....i had one burn up in the middle section. ....post pics later.......your thoughts..????????

Don't know about you, but I can burn up anything! After making that brag (not talking about power, just screwing up), it depends on the antenna and how it's made. Any antenna, if it uses an inductive matching network (tuning coils) can be fried if the coil spacings aren't large enough (arcing). I have no idea what's claimed for the 'I-max' in power handling. Doesn't really make a lot of difference to me since I doubt ~any~ power claims form the manufacturors of CB stuff... just too good of an advertising ploy, you know?
- 'Doc

PS - Don't really mean ALL the CB stuff makers, just most of them.

right on ......good feed back ...these cb claims on power can be real crazy and whenever its man made can fail .....I shouldnt be surprise in what happen .......

Those specs are so over rated . The people at Solarcon mus tbe on the koolaide if you ask me . 5Kw ?? maybe one shot but definity not continuos. I have seen a Imax get burned up with a heathkit sb221 box . If your gonna run that type of heat out of a omni antenna get a 10K base antenna

N.J 124

yes i have I-10K on order as we speak ...this was my second I-max ..I should be ok running I-10k with a little power. ....im still working on my quad....

Re: burnt

station 716 said:
I screwed up by not switching antennas once, and slapped an Antron A99 with the Collins; fried the coils post haste.
Needless to say, I reset up the shack and all the coax so that I can't repeat that little screw up.

Wow I usually run box tube box on my beam less chance of tvi and wont burn up either

no doc 2500w avg on the bird is more than 5000w pep if you calculate it bird style at avg x 2.82 or the regular way its still over 5000w pep, unless your undermodulated but at 1500w avg carrier swinging to 2500w its well overmodulated and you know it ;) ,

i presume he means avg bird as that is what most folk mean when they say 2500w bird,
at 2500w pep he would be way under 100% mod,

now what do you think the chances are that a guy over there is running that kind of power at the 100% or lower modulation? :LOL:

what he should have
1500w deadkey= 2250 avg =6000w pep @100% modulation

or bird style <<< ccm
1500w avg = 2250avg = 6345 pep bird @100% modulation

what he has
1500w swing to 2500 avg = ????????--- dead imax

now im back to my beer if im wrong its the beer :LOL:

I was using a model 43 with a 2500H element ....meter also has a model 4300-400 kit ....the setting was on cw at the time of burn out ... :) ....the dead key was around 800-1000 and swing when modulated to 2500 watts ....I should have used a 5000H element and maybe I would have seen more swing .....granted the I-max 2000 has been an antenna I used for years but since Im running just a little bit more power it when up in smoke .....I do have a 10K antenna on order and I should have no problem running the antenna rated @10,000w ....

The BEST money you will EVER spend on a radio system is on the ANTENNA and FEEDLINE!!!

You just can't beat an I-10K!

Still, I'm amazed that people will spend kilo-bucks on big amplifiers but bawk at the thought of spending more than $100.00 on an antenna. The coax is another topic!

Good luck with your I-10K! I have built almost as many as Jay and Steve! Every time a local gets one, I get called in to help them set it up. Not because they are difficult to set up (especially with the documentation that comes with it), but because its always perfect when I'm done.....and I have a few extra things I like to do.

(I use Noalox on all my connections plus a couple other upgrades. Well, not necessarily upgrades, the antenna is rock solid out of the box. I have used aircraft grade pop-rivits and even TIG welded key sections.)

I'll be doing another build up real soon. I'm currently installing a US Tower MA-40 at the old man's house and will build the antenna shortly thereafter. This time I'm taking pictures and writing an article. It will get posted somewhere on the Internet! My first choice is Woody's World and CB Tricks.

BTW, does anyone want a NEW Signal Engineering White Lightning 4-element quad? $250 shipped to your door!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.