• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need a new 148 GTL speaker. Source idea?

El Kabong

Say what?
Apr 11, 2018
Lost Angeles, CA.
Had a friend hand me an old 148 GTL and say here keep it. Okay, I did. I should have wondered why somebody would give away a good radio. Today I found out why. Blown speaker. External speaker jack works fine.

So where is a good source for a 148 GTL speaker? There's none on eBay. A bit better quality would be nice too.

Thanks all!

Thanks for the pointer. After a bit of research I find the Workman SA350 speaker fits the 148 GTL. It goes for around $5. I notice the spade connectors are a bit too large to use the stock cable ends without help. I may just swap the ends for a larger set.

El K , It's great to have the radio back to original , but the sound quality from the stock speaker ..... well it sucks I use an external speaker on mine and it sounds so much better , and the speakers you can use are endless . Do you plan on using the 148 as a base or mobile ?

Hole measurements are important, but equally important if not more so is the magnet size and overall depth. I'd go with the Workman SA350. You run the risk of smashing down on components below or around the magnet with most of those Hi-Fi speakers. That is of course if you can somehow make it fit in the first place. Those typically have large magnets and greater depth. As for an external speaker recommendation, the Uniden BC15 Bearcat is my favorite. Their lineup has a wider frequency response (more bass) than Cobra’s lineup. This is just my personal preference, but both popular brands are far better than any internal speaker. Gotta love a free radio with a bad speaker.

El K ,Myself , I made a portable " Bug Out " setup W/ Anderson connectors so I can easily remove it and change vehicles if needed . I fastened a Center Speaker from a surround sound system to it . The audio quality is awesome !jmo

Reactions: sunbulls and binrat
I agree, those center surround speakers are great. Most of them are designed to enhance their audio response in the vocal mid-range area. For the DIY guys, it should also be mentioned that with everything else being equal, an old school wood cabinet will sound better than something made of plastic. For the base, salvage that “4x6” oval speaker out of your junk car before it goes to the bone yard. Mount it in a homebrew wood cabinet. After all, it wants to continue serving you with pleasurable memories as it did in the past.

Reactions: 357magnum
Gotta love your update El! The same goes for news stories on TV. Too many of them without any followups.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.