• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need a proper uniden pc244 variable power mod

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
i have a uniden pc244 radio and i need to put a variable (carrier) power control in it. i have searched for hours and cannot find one online for some reason. thanks for the help

Heck, I can't even find a diagram for the thing. That's always my starting point. The circuit board will have a type number in the white screen-print ink, usually prefixed by the letters "PC".

Looks like it's the same radio as a Cobra 146GTL on the inside. First thing you'll need to do is decide where to put an additional control. Pretty sure a 5k linear pot is what you want for a smooth range of control. A higher resistance than that will result in 'crowding' where all the action takes place at one end of the knob's rotation. A lower resistance runs the risk of overheating the original carrier trimpot.

In a nutshell, the trimpot that currently sets the carrier should be labeled VR10. You sever the foil trace from the center lug of VR10. Simplest setup is to attach the clockwise lug of your new control to the trimpot's center lug. The counterclockwise lug goes to ground. The wiper of your new control goes to the other side of the connection that was cut from VR10 wiper (center) lug. This will make the minimum setting of your new control zero Watts. An addtional trimpot between the new pot and ground would let you adjust the minimum carrier setting. The old trimpot VR10 will now serve as your max carrier setting for the new control.

It's not that tricky. I have no idea why it's not posted somewhere easy to find.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated