• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think you guys are missing something

C2

Aug 3, 2005
or not?

No test equipment or GP forum? Where would we slot discussion of an oscilloscope, power meter, SPA, real test equipment, or even s smoldering iron, ya no?

Well, I've come across the Rigol series of Chinese equipment and it appears the DS1054Z is a really good entry level option, with features unheard of just a few years ago in a package so cheap. Watch Dave Jones' youtube review and teardown if you're interested. Tequipment has the best price. It's 4 channel 50 MHz with 12M memory, and all the advanced decoding, trigger, 24M memory and bandwidth upgrade to 100 MHz can be easily hacked for free. You'd get over $1000 scope for $400.

I'm not affiliated with anything, just sharing some old internet info...

Good luck...

Thanks, but at this time no thanks. 400$ !? Now a Tektronix 453 on fleabay, that is within reach for me. Dave Jones makes good videos, but as an example his most recent video covers a 5000$ scope, that requires a seperate pc just to use the thing. Way out of reach for most enthusiast/hobby techs... Just my 2 cents.

Tool sub-forums are not a totally bad idea..
And as far Irons go, the weller wps18mp is a trinket, with no base and a tip system that will leave you cursing when the thing starts to wobble and flex.

I should have spent my 30$ on an older (used), bigger, more sturdy weller.
I have about thrown this darn thing across the room! I regress @ least it's USEABLE for the occasional small task..

To be fair, the scope to which I think you are referring is geared for education, so the entry level student may well be seeing one...but yeah he does have a boat load of expensive equipment being tossed his way... Still a good resource.

Soldering, I prefer Hakko, an FX-888 is a great one to consider...(and some on here have referenced $500+ irons..., if you're worried about a new $400 scope).

I really do miss my 4-channel Iwatsu.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Hakko FX-888 & DS1054Z.

Sorry i'm way late to respond here, I just wanted to say those are great suggestions!
I have health issues that keep me from earning much money, it's hard to work when you can't stand properly.
The
Rigol DS1054Z
is a great scope that anyone serious about electronics could afford, I only mention the dinosaur Tektronix 453 because i'm broke & struggle to buy new equipment.
I am not experienced enough to make money in Radio, I could install a new outlet or light switch no problem for a home, and get paid in confidence.

I don't know of any school I can go to and learn how to work specifically on 30 year old radios, I want restore radios and repair broken ones, so I am teaching myself! :sneaky:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.