• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I took the Exam for Extra class this evening

KQ9U

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 8, 2010
Indiana
And I passed it. <More audio>

With the government shutdown it will probably be a while before it is announced though.

Reactions: 2 people

Congratulations! As long as you have your certificate that you passed the exam from your VE, you are able to use your call with /AE to ID yourself. This arrangement is published on the ARRL web site and is a result of the Government shutdown we're in. If you don't have access to it I could possibly make a pdf to forward to you, or at least publish on the forum thread.

Here is the piece of the article covering this:

"Amateur Radio applicants who passed an upgrade examination may still operate with their new privileges, even if their applications have not been accepted for filing by the FCC. Applicants must have a Certificate of Completion of Examination (CSCE), issued by the VE team. Follow the identification instructions on the back of the CSCE."

Mike
KC9Q

Last edited:
Congratulations! As long as you have your certificate that you passed the exam from your VE, you are able to use your call with /AE to ID yourself. This arrangement is published on the ARRL web site and is a result of the Government shutdown we're in. If you don't have access to it I could possibly make a pdf to forward to you, or at least publish on the forum thread.

Mike
KC9Q

Thanks. I knew that I could use the extra frequencies by adding the /AE.

I'm just anxious to get the certificate though because I've been studying for the last month or so.

OK! Well maybe we can meet-up in HF sometime. 40 Meters is my favorite band, but what bands are you able to operate on?

Mike

I operate on all frequencies from 2 meters to 80. Mostly on 20 and 40.

Thanks. I knew that I could use the extra frequencies by adding the /AE.

I'm just anxious to get the certificate though because I've been studying for the last month or so.

exactly correct, most people think you are supposed to use the "/AE" for all ID'ing, actually, it is only supposed to be used on the newly gained operating freqs.

welcome to the "club" your magic decoder ring and the secret handshake info will be mailed to you soon;)

Thanks guys.

I'm wanting to apply for a vanity call sign. But I might have to wait for a while because the FCC isn't processing any license applications or upgrades right now. And I have to wait for my extra class to be logged before I can apply for a new call sign.

From the looks of things the budget stalemate might be a lengthy one.

Congratulations! I'm still waiting for my paper ticket. I passed Extra 9/20 and either there was lag at the FCC or my VEC ddint get my paperwork in before the shutdown. Either way its gonna be a while

Thanks guys.

I'm wanting to apply for a vanity call sign. But I might have to wait for a while because the FCC isn't processing any license applications or upgrades right now. And I have to wait for my extra class to be logged before I can apply for a new call sign.

From the looks of things the budget stalemate might be a lengthy one.

Are you sure about that? Shutdown notwithstanding, you should be eligible for Vanity at anytime providing you already have a FCC issued callsign.

Are you sure about that? Shutdown notwithstanding, you should be eligible for Vanity at anytime providing you already have a FCC issued callsign.

I think so. I'm wanting to try to get a 1x2 or a 2x1. I figure I might as well start trying and sooner or later I'll snag one. But I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be considered until I'm listed in the FCC database as an extra.

Maybe I'm wrong?

I think so. I'm wanting to try to get a 1x2 or a 2x1. I figure I might as well start trying and sooner or later I'll snag one. But I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be considered until I'm listed in the FCC database as an extra.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Ah yeah a 2x1 or 1x2 would mean u have to be an extra to get it. Good luck with that. Noticed on AE7Q.com some guys are putting in many many requests for all those type calls.. except the CW heavy ones...lol Kinda makes you wonder sometimes...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.