• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I wanna buy a CB.

captgentry

Sep 7, 2009
So I thought here might be a good place to start asking some questions and maybe get some advice.

I found a used Uniden Grant XL for 40 dollars. I'm inclined to buy it just because of the price (if it works that is).

It's going in a jeep if that makes a difference.

Anyway... the question that comes to mind is should I go out and buy a new radio with my 100$ budget or should I buy a used radio like this one?
Also, is the Uniden Grant XL worth messing with?

If it's not, which brands would you suggest?

Also, what is it that you all do with these CBs? I've never messed with them before.

I noticed a mods section in these forums and I'm kinda into electronics so that might be fun.

Thanks in advance,
Capt Gentry

So I thought here might be a good place to start asking some questions and maybe get some advice.

I found a used Uniden Grant XL for 40 dollars. I'm inclined to buy it just because of the price (if it works that is).

It's going in a jeep if that makes a difference.

Anyway... the question that comes to mind is should I go out and buy a new radio with my 100$ budget or should I buy a used radio like this one?
Also, is the Uniden Grant XL worth messing with?

If it's not, which brands would you suggest?

Also, what is it that you all do with these CBs? I've never messed with them before.

I noticed a mods section in these forums and I'm kinda into electronics so that might be fun.

Thanks in advance,
Capt Gentry

If the Uniden Grant XL is in good shape and works then you had better get that one. It may be an older radio but it's a helluva lot better radio than the new stuff they have on the markets these days!

By the way. Look on the back of the radio and see if the little tag says built in the Philippines. If it does then hell yes get it! The build and component quality of these radios is much better than radios build in other countries.

hey capt., if the uniden grant is in good shape and works, id buy it for sure. they were one of the best cbs made. course alot of them got hacked up to. if it works for 40$ you cant go wrong. whats cb all about ??? well, just hook up your radio and find out. its a little of every thing.

I'll be heading out to get it today. I'm fixing up a Jeep and thought it might add to the "Zombie Outbreak Response Vehicle" scheme I'm doing.

Thanks for the replies,

Capt Gentry

Next step after you get the Grant xl is send it off to one of the below places and have them tune and align it. (in no order)

1) DTB Radio
2)Sparkys cb
3)Custom cb radio CBR
4)Bobs cb
5) 8541 Electronics

You should be able to have this done for 50 bucks total with shipping. After that since money is tight you will probably have to go with a 102" antenna. Just ask for some help here on how to mount it on your jeep.

The guy is a rock crawler club guy. He's a nice guy and threw in a mic and antenna. I had to go buy some cable though.

He said the radio was "peaked and tuned"? Would that mean it's been tuned and aligned like 9C1Driver suggested?

Also, I heard something moving inside as I was installing it. It was a little plastic box with a few wires going into the box from the main circuit board. I thought that was a bit strange.

What tools would I need to tune and align the radio? I'm a decent electronics guy. I know what a resistor and diode is so... is it possible for someone to do without an oscilloscope?

When I bought it we talked back and forth between another radio he had installed in another truck so I'm pretty sure it worked. Though after installing it I didn't hear anyone else talking. I might be to far away from anyone who would be on those channels though. I'll take a drive over to the main highway and see if I can talk to some truckers. Would that be channel 19 like in the Smokey and the Bandit movies? ;)

Another question I have is what are all these buttons for? I'm gona do some searching for a manual here and google.

Oh another thing...

DC1Driver said something about how to mount the antenna. The one I have is about 3 feet long and says,"Jabsco Mr Lightning Rod" on it. I mounted it on the bumper in the front of my jeep. So the top of the antenna is about 5 feet off the ground.

I guess I should ask,

Do I need to get another type or length of antenna? Do I need to mount it somewhere else?

Capt Gentry

If the radio was tuned up recently, I'd say that it was OK and doesn't need to be tuned up. I wouldn't do it yourself unless you have some experience with radios. If everything works - I wouldn't mess with it. Radio tuning is a careful balance and not to be toyed with.

Now that you have the radio; what kind of mic do you have? And what kind of antenna? As far as the little plastic box inside the radio - I wouldn't mess with it either. If everything works fine - then just go with it...

You know - if it ain't broke - then don't try to fix it...

You can't align a SSB radio at all without at least an accurate, sensitive frequency counter, an O-Scope, a good multimeter, and a signal generator. Before sending it off for an alignment, I would at least try it out. I would also take the covers off and see what is rattling around in there. It might be some kind of toy that was installed that you can secure, or it might be something important that could short something out.

Those mics aren't the best in the world, but again...try it out first. For antennas, you'll find that the 3' antenna is going to limit your range quite a bit so you might want to consider something else.

capt , the only plastic box in my grant is the green and white one thats part of the channel knob . so its most likely a echo board in some type of housing , but it could be a channel expansion board . do all the controlls on the front of the radio do what they are supposed to do ? any additional dials or switches on the rear or top , bottom or sides of the radio ?

Check it out and see, the only reason I suggest sending it in is over half of all used radio's I have bought over the years were mis-tuned or poorly tuned. Don't mess with it unless you have the proper equipment and know what the heck you are doing.

IF i were you take the rest of the money from your budget to send it to DTBRadio and have him give it a good looking over. You wont regret it and your money will be well spent. For an antenna i suggest something like a 7 foot FIRESTICK no bargain brands.
as someone on this forum once said i think it was master chief
" THE BEST MONEY YOU WILL EVER SPEND ON A RADIO SYSTEM IS ON THE ANTENNA AND ITS FEEDLINE"
THAT IS SO TRUE
oh also
if you have an extra radio and a swr meter.
USE A CRAPPY radio to check your swr and reflect
DONT MESS UP A PERFECTLY GOOD RADIO BECAUSE OF A BAD MATCH
BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT.
hosed a magnum s380 because i never checked the match
ALSO
DONT BE AFRAID TO DRILL A HOLE IN YOUR VEHICLE, and make sure you have a good ground, you can check this with a multimeter.
grind off the paint where your going to put the mount.(i suggest a quality L shaped mount and just drill the holes and paint over it so stuff doesnt rust. DO NOT PAINT THE MOUNT ITSELF.
jeeps are tough but they can be simple if you just drill a hole like any other vehicle.
Hopefully someone will back me up on the good points that i made.
BIG RED ROUND THE SANDPILE WAVIN IS OUT

Hey guys. First, thanks for all your help so far. Second, I think I may have a problem with the radio and might need some more help.

I have yet to talk to anyone on the radio. I've been to places I know would have CB traffic but still havn't heard anything.

the installation is pretty easy and I'm sure I have it right except for one thing. the antennea is mounted on my bumper. Now, should the metal on the antennea be in contact with my frame? It seems to me that might ground out whatever signals would be trying to get out of the antenna.

Here's what happens when I try to use it. I turn it on and leave the squelch at the bottom so I can hear everything. I figure I'll turn it up when I'm sure I can use the radio. There are some switches on the front I'm not sure of.

S/RF, AM, SWR on one knob. I've tried TXing on all those settings but still nothing.

when I do key the mic, the needle goes to the left, shouldn't it go to the right. Also, the TX light goes to red( I guess that's supposed to be red when TXing and green when recieving).

My most pressing question is this, Should I go buy a new radio or have this one fixed? Is there something I'm doing wrong with the switches maybe?

anyway, thanks again guys.

Chuck Gentry

If you are on SSB; the needle shouldn't move -at all- unless you talk. If it isn't; then check the mic gain level - it should be at the 1-3 o'clock position. If you see nothing moving; then maybe the mic plug wire is broken. It happens...

Check it on AM. If the needle moves to the the right when TXing, then the final output transistor is OK. If it doesn't - it may need servicing.

Can you hear anything in the receive? Try ch 17 AM- as it usually has truckers talking at some point...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.