• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IBA-5 Antenna for camp use

Shellcracker

Feb 18, 2019
I am new to radio, both CB and amateur radio service. I am looking for an antenna for CB radio that is portable and easy to set up. People in my local Jeep club use Firestik antennas, and I saw the IBA-5 on their website. Has anyone on the forum ever used them, other than the gentleman (I cannot remember his forum name) that used it in California at a condo rental?

Any input is appreciated. Also, suggestions for alternatives are appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Shellcracker

I have one and have used it outside on my pool deck, could get 10-15 miles with a stock radio, in suburbia OC, CA. I think it would make for a good compact camping antenna.

The fella in the video uses 20 and 40 meter hamsticks, but CB antennas work too. I've made horizontal, vertical and inverted V dipoles using 4' Firestiks and all worked well. Of couse a full-size half wave wire dipole like BJ suggested would be even better.

Reactions: binrat
A vertical or sloping dipole pulled up in the trees 20-25+ ft would serve much better. MHO
Did that many times with antennas camping, always worked well for me.

All the Best
Gary
BJ,

Will make a note of that...lots of campgrounds around. I saw an 11 meter cb jpole on ebay. That could be an option, also.

Many thanks!

Shellcracker

Why not the tried and true slinky antenna? Ooops, prolly don't make slinkys any more. But seriously a wire dipole works well for temporary purpose. Bring along a fishing pole and a weight, fish the trees and string it up.
Now you got me figuring where I stashed mine. Built it years ago worked well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.