• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-706 or IC-7000

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
who what and why?

iv had 3 icom 706's all with disappointments.(dsp sucks, NB/ANL not working, RX problems etc list goes on....

From what i have read eham, google searches: the ic 7000 has serious problems @ the PA section...

all i know out of both of these radios if you run them @ full output power of course the radio will poo out in the PA section.

i also know if you run the radio at full mod on the chicken band say good bye to some internal components.

I'm not sure what to buy i do want a awesome mobile HF rig tho....:blushing:
so far my list from top to bottom best to worst buys:

1. iCom IC7000
2. iCom IC706mk2g
3. Kenwood TS480SAT (forget 200w)
4. Yaesu FT100d

would be nice to keep it under
$1000.00
£628.7
¥77650.0

ありがとうございます。 (^_^)

1. iCom IC7000
2. iCom IC706mk2g
3. Kenwood TS480SAT (forget 200w)
4. Yaesu FT100d

I would choose between the 7000 or the 480, the other two are no longer supported buy the manufacturer.

I have owned each of them and if it were me, i would stay with the 7000.

Well let me correct that, I had the TS-480HX and it was to taxing on the stock electrical system.

I got rid of the 7000 because it was in my Jeep Wrangler and it was to easy to break into. Look for pictures of it on this forum.

I have not heard any problems with the radio concerning the finals nor using it out of band. I know 4 other local people that have the 7000 and three of them only use the radio on 11 meter and MURS. They have been using it like that for years. One also uses it with a Texas Star amp DAILY on 27.505.

I like the 7000 though because HF VHF/UHF

So either the 7000 or the 480 would be a good choice in my opinion. Do not let anyone tell you that once the radio is modified the warranty is void, that is incorrect, as long as you modify it according to the manufacturer directions for MARS use. Now the carrying over of the warranty on a used unit varies by manufacturer so check into that or just buy new.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks Happy Hammer for your reply.
i will continue to save to get the ic-7000.

One question i do have to is ask regarding the Ext display hookup is there a write up somewhere? i have a 13" DVD player already in my vehicle on the roof that id like to bring closer to the front so i may see it while driving. just don't see any RCA plug ins on the back of the ic7000 on Google images...

What kind of problems on the 7000? Must have missed that. Everyone I know loves them, and same with me.

The ONE problem is the cheap MIC. JUNK. But, send it to Nagy, new guts, bigger hole, wind buffer, and one once of weight installed if you want. Go to you tube & search IC 7000 mic mods. Great video showing the bench test before & after.

This guy has done 1000's of mics. He got mine in, repaired & shipped the same day, old parts returned. 5 day turnaround here.

HRO is selling the 7000 for $1240 delivered. Hard to find an all in one radio for that price.

Hard to find a used one for $1000. They really hold their value.

One question i do have to is ask regarding the Ext display hookup is there a write up somewhere? i have a 13" DVD player already in my vehicle on the roof that id like to bring closer to the front so i may see it while driving. just don't see any RCA plug ins on the back of the ic7000 on Google images...

It's there. You do have to go in the menu & activate external display.

I tried an external, but you lose reolution with the bigger screen. You can choose font size on the display also. You can also drop the meter from the display and get larger yet.

It has a choice of black, white or blue display. That makes a big difference at night, and for me, visability.

Download the 7000 pdf from Icom support. It has detailed pictures of front & back, with functions.

If you have an input for the DVD Player you can simply hook up to the video out on the radio to the video in of your dvd.

If you look at my pictures on this forum, I hooked my 7000 to the video input of the factory DVD player in my Jeep

27185.jpg

Reactions: 3 people
oic it now, it looks like a headphone jack... not a RCA..lol i take it i have to buy the adpater(s?) to do this. i may just drop down the $1.2k @ my local HRO and order one or... i might wait to see if any sites AES,HRO,U-R....eBay have any sales. i really want to spend the extra on a new one rather then spend the $1k on a used one.

Just keep searching web for best prices. HRO will match any competitors price and ship for free. Gigaparts.com is usually in line with HRO's prices and will ship free, plus will be tax free for u as well.

Don't worry about the mic on newer models. They are FB now.

I would choose between the 7000 or the 480, the other two are no longer supported buy the manufacturer.

I have owned each of them and if it were me, i would stay with the 7000.

Well let me correct that, I had the TS-480HX and it was to taxing on the stock electrical system.

I got rid of the 7000 because it was in my Jeep Wrangler and it was to easy to break into. Look for pictures of it on this forum.

I have not heard any problems with the radio concerning the finals nor using it out of band. I know 4 other local people that have the 7000 and three of them only use the radio on 11 meter and MURS. They have been using it like that for years. One also uses it with a Texas Star amp DAILY on 27.505.

I like the 7000 though because HF VHF/UHF

So either the 7000 or the 480 would be a good choice in my opinion. Do not let anyone tell you that once the radio is modified the warranty is void, that is incorrect, as long as you modify it according to the manufacturer directions for MARS use. Now the carrying over of the warranty on a used unit varies by manufacturer so check into that or just buy new.

Just send the unit in for warranty work WITHOUT your MARS certificate and see how far you get. You'll be disappointed.

I believe Alinco is the only manufacturer that turns a blind eye to such mods. They will however, not honor a warranty repair if the problem is caused by a shitty mod job.

Just send the unit in for warranty work WITHOUT your MARS certificate and see how far you get. You'll be disappointed.

I have, to Yaesu, Kenwood and ICOM, not one of them have said a word and the warranty work was completed. Just call them if you do not believe me. In fact, I sent in an ICOM 706MKIIG when it was under warranty because VHF/UHF died. The radio was modified and I asked if they could reverse the modification while they had it. They said they could but have to charge for that, the repair though was covered under warranty, no questions asked.

Sent in a TS-2000 because the display lights went out after owning it a week. They fixed it and I was not charged a dime and the radio was modified.

Now the best part is, I had a Yaesu TH-F6A that I bought when I was a new ham and did not think using it on MURS was a big deal. (Yeah I should have but I didn't) I accidentally keyed the radio while I was switching the rubber antenna and it fried the final unit just that quick. I knew I messed up, I admitted it to Yaesu and I sent in my modified radio and they fixed it free of charge, sent it back and it was still modified and sitting on the same MURS frequency that I had it on when I sent it in.

People have to understand,

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO MODIFY YOUR RADIO,

it is illegal to operate on a frequency the operator or radio is not certified for, that is not the responsibility of the manufacturer.

No further modification/warranty discussion in this thread though, not fair to hijack it.

All I got to say is I had my 7000 3 yeasrs modded for 11 meters and used it there at full power and on all other bands at full power also with never a problem. I would turn it on and leave it running day and night with no added fan or fan mod. I sold it only to get a 756 pro 3 because I dont have the funds to buy equipment without selling some thing in the shack to fund a new purchase.

I sold it to a Ham who has a 7000 for years and loved it so much he wanted another.

I believe if you buy one you will be very happy.

I also know hams with the 706 mk2 and love em.

AP

My vote is for the 7000 also. I've never had a problem with mine. (y) With the Holiday sales right around the corner you might be able to pick one up for a couple hundred under the current retail prices.

My vote is for the 7000 also. I've never had a problem with mine. (y) With the Holiday sales right around the corner you might be able to pick one up for a couple hundred under the current retail prices.

that is my plan to wait on the holiday sales to roll in, but i don't know how longer i can wait Arrg:blink:

and a reply to all that jazz crap about not being Legal to murs/cap your rig. blah blah yes you can. what you CANNOT do is Transmit there.
images

one thing that does scare me is what will happen to me when she finds out i spent a-lot of money on radio :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.