• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-706 or IC-7000

I only know of 1 person that experienced an overheating problem and it was due to the lack of air circulation. He had the radio mounted in a cubby hole in his vehicle. Once the radio was relocated the overheating problem went away. Personally, I have never had an overheat situation even during long QSOs. Some people stated the audio quality was poor with the stock mic, but I never got a bad audio report using mine. I eventually swapped over to a Heil mic and unsolicited compliments began pouring in.

just bought the iCom IC-7000 and a tuner .... $1500.00 man the wife is going to kick my @$$....(Verbally) haha

oh I'm excited!

where can i find the correct mod, for the TV and mars/cap?

Last edited:
You can find the mods here:

KB2LJJ Radio Mods Database and Manuals

The TV mod is obsolete since the switch over to digital transmissions. ;)

why is there more then one MARS mod??? after examining the photos it looks like one is different then the other ...
is this the correct one:
this picture is on that website and if you scroll down to:

TVRO & MARS/CAP Mods by N5AC
tvro_mars_sm.jpg

why is there more then one MARS mod??? after examining the photos it looks like one is different then the other ...
is this the correct one:

tvro_mars_sm.jpg

That is the mod that was used to enable MARS on my 7000. As far as the TV mod goes I suppose you could use a digital to analog converter, but it just seems like it would be more hassle than it's worth. If I wanted TV in my car I'd buy a DVD HU with a digital tuner built in then hook the video output of the 7000 up to it like Happy Hamer did in his Jeep.

is this the correct one:

tvro_mars_sm.jpg

This jus shows 1 MARS mod and one tv mod (useless)

Just curious, where do you plan on purchasing the radio? Most will perform the mod for you before they ship, because you are signing up for MARS and the radio has to work on 4.007 USB, correct? ;)

That is the mod that was used to enable MARS on my 7000. As far as the TV mod goes I suppose you could use a digital to analog converter, but it just seems like it would be more hassle than it's worth. If I wanted TV in my car I'd buy a DVD HU with a digital tuner built in then hook the video output of the 7000 up to it like Happy Hamer did in his Jeep.

i think i have a converter under the passenger seat. there is a digital TV antenna on the front windshield.... i think i posted a video and it was my first time messing with the DVD player and screen.... i need to buy some batterys for the remotes.. this weekend ill mess with the tv and box see if i can really get tele in the mobile. Happy Hamers IC-7000 setup is awesome someday ill get a big touch screen nav like that to replace the OEM cd/am/fm music radio.

@ happy hammer it's too late, radio will be here tomorrow.
i sure i can do the mod, it should be as easy as i have done the icom 706's twice....its not rocket science. just am worried who and what is posted online lol some people like to post "Rubbish info". Tho N5AC aka Mr. Hicks from TX is a legit Ham Extra OP, i doubt he would post nonsence on the web dealing with mods to HF radio. thanks all for the info needed.

i'll make a unboxing video by tomorrow and do the mod and post up how it goes :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.