• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-706 or IC-7000

got the ic 7000. did the mars mod 7:30 this morning.
did some QSO's on the children's band good reports. did a few QSO's on the freeband more great reports. all in all this is a nice radio alot of stuff do on it. did NOT do the TV mod no reason to. my 14amp power supply wont power this rig on LSB more then 25% hehe.... so ill have to use my 50amp astron.... its set at 14.7v not sure if that is ok on this radio? its going in the mobile anyways. the filters are just brilliant! no complaints here.

Why compromise?

Why compromise with a 7000 when there are plenty of VERY nice IC-756PRO units floating around on eBay and elsewhere for around $900 to $1100 bucks? If you need 2 Meters and 440, get a dual-bander and be done with it. My bucks are going for the 756PRO... SOLID, RELIABLE, and no problems.:D

Why compromise with a 7000 when there are plenty of VERY nice IC-756PRO units floating around on eBay and elsewhere for around $900 to $1100 bucks? If you need 2 Meters and 440, get a dual-bander and be done with it. My bucks are going for the 756PRO... SOLID, RELIABLE, and no problems.:D

IC-7000 does all modes on VHF/UHF. I do not see it as a "compromise" radio

Buying a 756 then an all mode dual band could be very expensive compared to just buying the 7000.

Besides, he already has the 7000 now

To each his own...

Well, I have to agree that for all mode and mobile, the 7000 or 706MKIIG are obvious choices because of size... but have you ever sat down with a 756PRO and really played with it? There are VERY nice radios, but of course, not for a mobile application. I'm full-timing it in a 36' diesel motorhome... and the 756PRO is the staple here for base ops, so I'm partial to it. :D

Now that would be fun, your "mobile" is a bit more unique :D

Well, I have to agree that for all mode and mobile, the 7000 or 706MKIIG are obvious choices because of size... but have you ever sat down with a 756PRO and really played with it? There are VERY nice radios, but of course, not for a mobile application. I'm full-timing it in a 36' diesel motorhome... and the 756PRO is the staple here for base ops, so I'm partial to it. :D

I do not think I'd go more than 14.0 volts with it, maybe I am wrong but is 14.7 a bit much?

AP

On page ii of the manual it says to never apply more than 16v dc to the radio, but I really don't see any advantage to using more than 13.8v from a power supply. You might see 14.2 or so in a vehicle but I wouldn't apply any more than that to it.

On page ii of the manual it says to never apply more than 16v dc to the radio, but I really don't see any advantage to using more than 13.8v from a power supply. You might see 14.2 or so in a vehicle but I wouldn't apply any more than that to it.

My 2007 Jeep Wrangler put out 14.8 volts

... my 14amp power supply wont power this rig on LSB more then 25% hehe.... so ill have to use my 50amp astron.... its set at 14.7v ...

well,....... the spec sheet says it needs 13.8 vdc +/- 15%, thats 15.87 vdc max (do ya feel lucky?):unsure:

real world: 13.8 vdc @ 22 amps drives my 7k to rated output on all bands

Reactions: 1 person
IC-7000 Still working its magic like a wet dream I couldn't be more happier. I also have a new external display just made the radio +10 times ©ooler :) 73s

Sent from Outerspace, on the DarkSide of X.

My 2007 Jeep Wrangler put out 14.8 volts

Is that what you're seeing at the radio's power plug? I've always found a slight decrease in voltage when measured at the radio (compared to readings at the alternator/battery) due to the draw of other components in the vehicle. The mobile installs I've helped with have been between 14.2 and 14.5 at the radio, but there's always going to be a slight variance depending on the vehicle's electrical system and demands. ;)

real world: 13.8 vdc @ 22 amps drives my 7k to rated output on all bands

X2

I have no problem seeing full output at 13.8v/22amps either, but most of the time I run my radio's output at half throttle or less.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.