• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-7100 more power mod

Heres another mod from a very talented tech! enjoy! I don't believe this causes harmonics. If you cut the limiter and turned up the power pot, maybe, but not this way.

It's what's called the CB Mentality when you want a little bit of extra output that makes ZERO difference on any's received signals from you.You are far better off leaving it alone & not stressing the components in the radio.If it was good idea for the radio to do that much power then ICOM would have done so because it would have resulted in a few more sales but no better signals.Do some research on signals to output power before screwing up a good piece of gear over a few watts that only your wattmeter will ever see.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Slowmover
One thing to keep in mind, as a ham, at least for me, most are not all that interested in power output. Most hams are more interested in antennas and their performance. As a ham I know I can run 2k legally but I have zero interest in doing so. I have worked stations all over the world on 100w or less (mostly less) on a bunch of wires hanging from a tree. I am perfectly happy with that.

To answer your power question, I run a Yaesu FT-101ZDmkII, It's rated at 100w out. On most bands, I get near 100w (more mostly) but on 10 meteres I get 75. I am perfectly happy with that and to go along with CK's posts I do use a powered true PEP reading meter.

It's not all about the radio...

2K? It's 1500 watts PEP or as the rule says,the minimum amount of power needed to complete the QSO.For me that's 1200 watts on HF & 900 watts on 6 meters.The power levels vary on the VHF/UHF bands.

SIX-SHOOTER

99% of the people that complain their radio does not put out the rated 100 watts have metering errors. Usually expecting a non-powered meter that CLAIMS to read pep to actually read pep. Meters that have an AVG/PEP switch but do not require power to work (other than light a panel lamp) do NOT read pep regardless what the manufacturer says. That is a LARGE percentage of the problem.

YES,without a Powered PEP Circuit it's just a Feel Good Meter & man there are a lot of them out there.DAIWA even says their so called,PEP meters are not truly a PEP meter but a PEP monitor? Whatever that is?

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.