• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IC-7700

That radio looks sweet, but for less, you can get a Flex Radio and have a lot more for the money.

Now there's a rig I'll never warm up to. Having to depend on the computer for the rig scares me. What do you do in a time of disaster if you can't run 12v? I guess you could always have a 2nd 12v rig, but I also think about the endless trouble I've had with Microsoft software and I keep going back to a good old radio in a box of it's own.
I'm also a little resentful of how much of daily life the computer now demands / owns, even though convenient, I see people losing real aspects of life's experiences because of giving so much time to the 'virtual' world.

Sorry, I think you struck a sensitive chord.

...but I've heard several Flex radios which sound extremely nice.
I wonder if the sensitivity is better running XP or Vista? hehe

There is hope for the Flex.

One of their development team was on 80m and stated that a full linux front-end is on their roadmap.

It was actually due by the spring, but they had initial production tweaks that got prioritized.

The guy stated it would be likely by summer/fall next year.

If they come out with full linux support, I'm in.

Yeah, it's not the ideal rig for emergency communications due to the computer dependency, but for audio quality and overall features, it is amazing.

If you want the flex radio, use a good notebook computer with it, then you don't have to worry about the power situation. Worse case, you can still plug it into a very small generator, or run it off a battery with an inverter. The notebook probably requires less power than the radio does, unless you run QRP.

Oh yeah, one other thing: Who even considers buying a radio the price of a 7700 for emergency comms? That doesn't even seem close to practical to me.

You know, now you've got me wondering if that 200w 7700 is a 12v or 110v only. Might be a 28v PA like the TS-930/940 rigs.

If it can go 12v it could be used for emergency comm., and that could be a concern if it's the only rig one owns.
Would be a good idea to also own a generator & a collins or other full-tube rig in case of EMP.

...but if things are that bad, - maybe better to be at ground zero? :shock:

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
last weekend went to a show/exibit for some new gear
icom says price will be in $6000 range
I'll admit that's a bit pricey, but it should make a great mobile. Looks like I'm gonna have to rebuild the whole dang center console.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.