• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ic718 swings backwards

On BOTH the IC-718 and the IC-706 (versions) there is a 13 pin DIN plug on the BACK of the radio(s) that when you insert an amplified microphone (aka: power mic) THERE, instead of the front of the rigs, you are thereby bypassing the low level modulation audio input and are entering the audio chain directly into the balanced modulator.

For the IC-718, I wired a 13 pin din plug to an amplified D104 base mic and plugged directly into the back of the rig (balanced modulator) for AM usage. Rig went from approx. 40% low level modulation with backward swing to 90% modulation, crystal clear, and when I set the carrier to 10 watts I get forward swing to approx. 12 watts RMS and 20 watts on a peak reading watt meter.

Since the 718 has RCA jacks for both ALC and amp switching (make sure you use a relay or switching interface or foot key for your amp especially if it's an older one like an SB200 or SB220, etc., but even IF you're using a more modern day Ameritron, etc., it's probably a good practice), this is the way I ran my IC-718 on HF AM with good audio and fwd swing.

Now, the IC-706 (in my case, the 706MKIIG) even though the D104 works in the rear 13 pin DIN, since there are no separate RCA connectors for the amplifier switching and/or ALC, you need to use that rear DIN if you want to run an amp. Therefore, with the compressor OFF in the 706, you can use ANY good electret condenser microphone (RD-104 'Road Devil' works well, as does the $2.00 radio shack electret condenser element, or even an el-cheapo computer microphone) for use on AM, even through microphone RJ connection(s) on the front or back of the radio. You just need to remember to turn your power down to about 5-10 watts to eliminate the propensity for backward swing. There is also a very tiny microphone gain pot IN the radio that you may turn up if so inclined. Just make sure you do NOT run your compressor on the 706, turn your power down, use a good ELECTRET CONDENSER microphone, and you should have good audio AND fwd. swing on the 706.

On BOTH the IC-718 and the IC-706 (versions) there is a 13 pin DIN plug on the BACK of the radio(s) that when you insert an amplified microphone (aka: power mic) THERE, instead of the front of the rigs, you are thereby bypassing the low level modulation audio input and are entering the audio chain directly into the balanced modulator.

For the IC-718, I wired a 13 pin din plug to an amplified D104 base mic and plugged directly into the back of the rig (balanced modulator) for AM usage. Rig went from approx. 40% low level modulation with backward swing to 90% modulation, crystal clear, and when I set the carrier to 10 watts I get forward swing to approx. 12 watts RMS and 20 watts on a peak reading watt meter.

Since the 718 has RCA jacks for both ALC and amp switching (make sure you use a relay or switching interface or foot key for your amp especially if it's an older one like an SB200 or SB220, etc., but even IF you're using a more modern day Ameritron, etc., it's probably a good practice), this is the way I ran my IC-718 on HF AM with good audio and fwd swing.

Now, the IC-706 (in my case, the 706MKIIG) even though the D104 works in the rear 13 pin DIN, since there are no separate RCA connectors for the amplifier switching and/or ALC, you need to use that rear DIN if you want to run an amp. Therefore, with the compressor OFF in the 706, you can use ANY good electret condenser microphone (RD-104 'Road Devil' works well, as does the $2.00 radio shack electret condenser element, or even an el-cheapo computer microphone) for use on AM, even through microphone RJ connection(s) on the front or back of the radio. You just need to remember to turn your power down to about 5-10 watts to eliminate the propensity for backward swing. There is also a very tiny microphone gain pot IN the radio that you may turn up if so inclined. Just make sure you do NOT run your compressor on the 706, turn your power down, use a good ELECTRET CONDENSER microphone, and you should have good audio AND fwd. swing on the 706.

I recently purchased the 13 pin mic cable from W2IHY for my 718. Have not tried it on AM yet, but since your post, I'll check it out and see. The rig does take considerably more input from the din plug than it does from the front mic jack.

Brett

Got the 718 in my shack. I've set the carrier to 10w, 15w, 20w, etc...
I've adjusted the mic gain down to 10 and 20. 20 gives me about 85% modulation. Compressor is off.

Now with any of these settings even my power supply that does over 50amps shows the power supply amp draw dropping during modulation. Also no mater what I set the carrier to the AVG power reading drops about half the total avg during modulation then goes back up when you quit modulating. As far as the pep, It seems to swing up nicely. At a carrier of 30w I see a pep reading of 75-80w depending on which meter I use.

I even turned the carrier down to 5w and the mic gain down to 5 out of 100 and the AVG still dropped during modulation. Couldn't drop much but it did.

The audio sounds good even with the meter swinging backwards during modulation and it don't seem to be getting too hot.

The rig will do more than a 40w carrier but I'm not going to turn it up that high. 15-20w sounds good to me.

Of course this testing is done into a dummy load.

Weird! Any comments?

If your a licensed ham, I'll tell you how I fixed mine not to backward swing, it's and easy fix and will get real good modulation on both am and ssb, but top secret to cb users.:bdh:

May not tell ya anyway unless you buy it.And your a licensed ham.

I recently purchased the 13 pin mic cable from W2IHY for my 718. Have not tried it on AM yet, but since your post, I'll check it out and see. The rig does take considerably more input from the din plug than it does from the front mic jack.

Brett

The rear DIN plug input bypasses the microphone amplifier and as such requires a much higher level input. I used to feed a line level input (about -10dB or so as opposed to a -50 or -60dB mic level ) into the rear of my IC-735. It sounded great.

Reactions: 1 person
The rear DIN plug input bypasses the microphone amplifier and as such requires a much higher level input. I used to feed a line level input (about -10dB or so as opposed to a -50 or -60dB mic level ) into the rear of my IC-735. It sounded great.

I have the 8 band EQ and EQ Plus. Cranked the output level on it and it worked fine.

Brett

What is the cable # and mic you use and where can I get them, been thinking of getting a Behringer 802 for mine.

I used this cable:
ICOM Balanced Mod Cable (13 Pin DIN) Rear Accessory Connector - Cables

You would probably have to customize it for your Behringer. However, they do offer custom cables so you might just have one made up. Julius is a really awesome owner, and provides great customer service. He actually called me while he was on vacation to help me with my setup!

Brett

Reactions: 3 people
I think you'd be hard pressed to find better customer service than Julius Jones.

I totally agree. I used to think he used a service team to answer so quickly. When he called me on the phone, I was amazed. I've had the gear for several years now, and he has always been very helpful, and QUICK to answer.

On Topic, I haven't gotten around to trying it on AM yet, so I don't know if there's much of an improvement with this cable. I always kept the DK down on the rig to around 10-15 watts, and would only see backward swing if I really got loud into the mic. Otherwise, it would swing forward and sound pretty darned good.

Brett

I understand that this is a very old thread but it would be nice if you get us to pin out for the 13 pin din so we can hook up our D104

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.