• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 706 thru TS 500V amp?

i know people that have used the 706 into a cb amp, some get away with it and some dont, 706's suffer from alc overshoot which can destroy your low drive cb amplifier, you dont see it on a regular meter but i see it on my lp-100, be carefull.

i would probably only try it on ssb and then i would turn the power down to where the 706 was not putting out over 30 watts. on am i see what bob85 is talking about with my 706mk2 when you key the mic it has like a small power spike then settles down to the right carrier.(yaesu ys-60 meter) this would probably not be to good for your texas star. im sure it would work ok on ssb.

thanks, I think I know what you mean about the spike factor.. I will try it carefully on AM with the power low so when it spikes, the spike will be as minimal as possible.. does the sound right?

i dont really remember how much the power spike actually is. havnt fired my 706 up in awhile. i got a 2510 that does this also. spikes to about 14 watts then settles to 5 watt carrier. youd probably have to turn that 706 down to a 5 watt dead key on am then youd probably be no better off than useing a regular cb on the ts-500. side band would work better. only i personally would not drive to much into it. a class c comp box is a little more forgiving than a texas star on a dead key power spike. its a straight 4 pill the ts-500 but your not gonna be able to run that 706 wide open into it i know that.

thanks, I think I know what you mean about the spike factor.. I will try it carefully on AM with the power low so when it spikes, the spike will be as minimal as possible.. does the sound right?

no, it doesn't sound "right" ..... are you only going to "smoke test" your amp just a "little" :confused:
use a cb driver for the low drive amp

Trying to figure it out, and listening to all opinions.. I will drive it on 1-3 watts out from 706 to TS 500, but worried about the high spike on AM.. I thinks ALC adjustment contributes to that.. is that true?

ran a mk2g into a dx500v & it showed 500PEP on SSB. i could never get the mk2g to sound good much below 15 watts carrier, so i gave up & tried the dx1600.
mk2g doing 125 PEP on 10 & 11 into a dx1600 on SSB shows 1000+ PEP into an autek wm1. on AM, about 20 dead key & 50-60 or so PEP on 10 & 11, the wm1 shows about 200 carrier & 500-600PEP.

Thanks for all of your input guys, just playing around and experimenting.. LOL I like that.. If I blow it up, then I will know what not to do next time.. LOL :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.