• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 706MKIIG

missouri 69

Jun 14, 2005
missori
Ok
I bought / traded for an Icom 706MKIIG from Mcds26.
And I am wondering if any one else runs one of these rigs??
what do I do first when I get it??
I have downloaded the instruction manual from Icom and am reading that ...but what suggestions do you all have??

yes I have my ham license...LOL
later
sam
missouri 69

I would get an LDG brand tuner to go with it, It makes tuning almost anything for an antenna easy. There is so many little tricks to the radio, The squelch works opposite of what your used to. There is a way in the sub menu to change it to the normal way we are used to. The stock microphones for those sound awesome, I currently use an Icom SM-20 with mine. READ READ READ the manual, It is your friend. Run a good external speaker, The internal speaker sucks. Run the mic gain around 2 and the power on 3-5 to start. Enjoy your rig, Let us know what you think.

73's

A Great radio indeed
been using mine for years

Although i also have the SM20 desk mike
the hand held it comes with sounds a bit better actually

if you are all over the bands
then indeed get that tuner

a lot of stuff in the 2 menues

any questions ask
many on here have that radio

I like mine.

But then I never had another HF, so I'll compare it to my Kenwood when it gets here.

Get the narrow SSB filter for it...you'll like that a lot. You might want to consider some kind of PC interface. You can find a CI-V cable pretty cheap that will make programming it much easier, especially if you're going to use it on 2/440. Spend some time to go through the manual to learn how stuff works.

Anyway, now that you have it? The first thing you should do is hook it up and TALK on it :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.