• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM 718

My icom works great on SSB and AM. There are two issues I know of with the 718. Some of the microphones were bad right out of the factory (i think only the earlier ones, you would have to look that up). My mic works fine though. Another issue is that it is very sensitive to input voltage.

Assuming the menu settings are correct and nothing is wrong with the radio....

If the input voltage gets too low it rolls the output back to half power. On am, that might only happen during talking and not show up on dead key, but I'm guessing because I haven't used mine on AM enough to know. On SSB, I have to run mine 13.6-13.9v to get 100w, if the voltage is any lower, it immediately drops the power output to 50%. If you have it on a 12.5.v lead acid battery or a 12v supply (thats really 12v, not 13.8), this might appear, on a watt meter, as a low modulation problem as the ratio between dead key and peak power might not be right.

I dont like the stock mic it has no punch to it and the comp is no help . So I went to a delta M 2 power mic I have it set at #1 on power and #4 on tone the radio as set at 75 to 80 on the modulaton , the SWR is 1.1 to 1.2 in the 11 meters band . The radio just will not work good with a power mic . I will keep working on this prob it,s a new radio and I dont think it,s the radio I do think it,s me and I will find the problem it just going to take time. Thanks to all and have a nice day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.