• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM 746 PRO

cbshack

Apr 5, 2005
Central Florida
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A MOD THAT CAN FIX THE AM AUDIO PROBLEM WITH THIS RADIO? THE AUDIO SEEMS MUFFLED. I HAVE REMOVED THE MUFFLER IN THE STOCK MICROPHONE, THIS SEEMS TO HELP A BIT. MAYBE TRYING ANOTHER MIC?

I have an Icom 746 Pro. Can you describe what you mean by "muffled"? I have used mine extensively on AM (and mine's a low serial #) and have never heard anyone complain of that problem.

The audio does not seem loud and clear on AM with the stock mic. I have a friend that has a 706mkiig and it sounds much better. I am told that the 706 has a Heil element in it. I have never taken it apart.

I usually leave the modulation stem between 11 and 12 o ' clock on AM.

I was wondering if the Icom desk mic or another type of mic might help or maybe I need to adjust something else on the radio?

Have you set the TX audio properties up for AM yet in the settings? Or, are you using the speech compressor, and did you set that up yet? It shouldn't sound muffled with the stock mic. The mic is an electret condenser mic and the AM audio on the 746 pro is true DSB with a carrier that is run through the DSP. It should sound real good, but you do have to set up the TX Bass, Treble, and compressor to get it right.

Is the best way to do this is with the monitor feature so I can hear the audio coming out? I thought about this but have never had a radio with these features before. Thank you.

Start by putting some headphones on and turn the monitor on so you can hear yourself. You may have to adjust the monitor level so it's comfortable. To start with, turn off the compressor. Now when you key up, first adjust the mic gain, then do either the bass or treble next. Once you get those the way you like it, the muffle sound should be gone. Now turn on the compressor and follow the guidelines in the manual for adjusting that.

All right guys, I have tried everything with no luck. The audio sounds muffled and not very loud no matter what I do. Any suggestions? I have tried adjusting the compressor and the transmit treble and bass. No good. Thanks.

Is there an AM filter in this radio (have to go look at the schematic)? I thought all the filtering was DSP based?

Moleculo said:
Is there an AM filter in this radio (have to go look at the schematic)? I thought all the filtering was DSP based?

Oops, I didn't read the heading carefully enough, - it does say "Pro", you're right.

OK, been thinking about this some more. Do you have another mic you can try with the radio? Also, you might try opening the mic up and make sure there's nothing covering the mic element. If you've adjusted everything on the radio to no avail, I'd start looking at the mic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.