• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-2820 TX audio modification

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
We all know that the ICOM IC2820 has an squeaky TX audio response in FM mode with a lot of exaltation of the high frequencies.
This audio response is really not comfortable to hear.
In order to solve this problem (that isn’t really a problem….)
I decided to check the schematic diagram and open the bottom cover of the radio and find where to put the fingers.... or better where to put the soldering iron.
There are three HPF “high pass filter” stages on the MIC path, so I tought to eliminate one stage and hear the difference.
I bypassed the first HPF stage right behind the MIC connector on the front panel with a 10 uF 16 V capacitor.
I put the capacitor with the positive lead on PIN 3 of the MIC connector and the negative lead on the joint between C624 and R545.
In order to have the right effect on the audio response you have to remove the 1 uF C624 capacitor from the PCB.
The following drawing and pictures well explain the modification.
4098_mod_ic2820_en_img_0.gif

This is the first stage that acts as HPF
4098_mod_ic2820_en_img_1.jpg

This is the PCB area where the first HPF stage is located
4098_mod_ic2820_en_img_2.jpg
4098_mod_ic2820_en_img_3.jpg
In this last picture there are all the information to perform the TX audio modification on the 2820.
The modified radio has been checked in DV mode too to verify that the now broaden audio frequency response doesn’t affect the audio quality in GMSK modulation.
Now the question is…….Why the engineering staff from ICOM put this third HPF stage on the AF path?
I really don’t know but by now it doesn’t matter!
Now enjoy your NEW IC2820 but pay attention to set the audio setting as follow:
MIC sensitivity: HIGH
ALC: OFF
With the above settings the transmitted audio will be more powerful and comfortable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.