• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-2820H Extended Transmit Modification for USA Models

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
This modification has been tested and confirmed for “USA models ONLY”, including those with the most recent firmware from revisions from ICOM as of 06-30-2008…
Extended Transmit Frequency Coverage Ranges:
137MHz. to 174MHz. (Left Side)
400MHz. to 470MHz. (Right Side)
Modification:

1. Remove the top cover. (This is the side with the serial number sticker)
  2. Locate the jumper panel as shown in the photo. (This is the one to the left of the white j-tag firmware uploading connector and to the right of the “VIII” notation on the circuit board)
  3. Take note of the jumpers currently in place. On models that the modification has been successful, there have been NO jumpers on the right side of the jumper panel. On the left side of the jumper panel, ONLY jumpers “5”, “6”, & “7” were in place from the factory.
    3985_IC-2820H_1.jpg
    3985_IC-2820H_2.jpg
  4. Remove the ONLY the jumpers in positions “5” & “6” counting from the top down on the left side of the jumper panel.
  5. Check for loose solder pieces, clean with compressed air and reinstall the top cover.
Note: When the modification is completed, you should only have the jumper in position 7 remaining on the left side.
That's it your all done!
There is no reset required; however I strongly recommend that you perform a “full reset” prior to programming and using the radio.

Reactions: 1 person

Has anyone else done this Mod? Are there any Con's? How do you tell which Firmware version, that you have? My radio is about a month old and I'd like to do this.

Thanks for the replies......

This modification has been tested and confirmed for “USA models ONLY”, including those with the most recent firmware from revisions from ICOM as of 06-30-2008…
Extended Transmit Frequency Coverage Ranges:
137MHz. to 174MHz. (Left Side)
400MHz. to 470MHz. (Right Side)
Modification:

1. Remove the top cover. (This is the side with the serial number sticker)
  2. Locate the jumper panel as shown in the photo. (This is the one to the left of the white j-tag firmware uploading connector and to the right of the “VIII” notation on the circuit board)
  3. Take note of the jumpers currently in place. On models that the modification has been successful, there have been NO jumpers on the right side of the jumper panel. On the left side of the jumper panel, ONLY jumpers “5”, “6”, & “7” were in place from the factory.
    3985_IC-2820H_1.jpg
    3985_IC-2820H_2.jpg
  4. Remove the ONLY the jumpers in positions “5” & “6” counting from the top down on the left side of the jumper panel.
  5. Check for loose solder pieces, clean with compressed air and reinstall the top cover.
Note: When the modification is completed, you should only have the jumper in position 7 remaining on the left side.
That's it your all done!
There is no reset required; however I strongly recommend that you perform a “full reset” prior to programming and using the radio.

The Directions versus the Picture versus the Note, has me confused.

Which is the reason for the previous message.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.......

The way I read it is that on the left block of jumpers, you remove the second and third from the bottom; the ones circled in red.

The way I read it is that on the left block of jumpers, you remove the second and third from the bottom; the ones circled in red.

Thanks Moleculo!

That is, kind-of, how I understood it, too. I know that I could remove them, but I am a little gun-$hy, and don't want to pay to put some back.

After reading the print, it sounds like more were removed, than what the picture dictates.

I have found this mod listed on other web sites, but I haven't found anybody's actual experience.

I have seen some of your stuff, directions, how-to's, etc. and appreciate your help....

Thanks again.....

I took the cover off and figured it out. (Thanks for all of the replies)

The Picture, from the OP, must be a European Version. Mine is an USA model and there were only #5, 6, 7, on both sides/columns.

I removed number #5 & 6. (By the way, they are small!!!!) I used a pocket knife, sharpened single sided, Tanto style, and used the point to sweep one away, at a time. They broke off, easily.

Did I mention that they are small? I took a digital Pic, and had to blow it up, on the computer, to see if I had everything removed. (I have 20/10 vision, and struggled to see clearly......)

Yes, I'm assuming that it is the european version because the two I just bought new at HRO only have #5,6 & 7

I just removed them and will reset and see what they've done to confirm.

Yes, I'm assuming that it is the european version because the two I just bought new at HRO only have #5,6 & 7

I just removed them and will reset and see what they've done to confirm.

How did it turn out? I just bought one from HRO as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated