• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM IC-7000 external cooling-fan

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
From VK5CQ:

ICOM IC-7000 gets way too hot - even in standby/receive modes -for me to feel comfortable running it, particularly in Summer or a closed vehicle.

Its internal fan seems to run only in transmit mode, leaving the case to feel too hot to my hand, in other modes.

A simple workaround requires:

plug for radio's [little-used] external tuner jack;

a short length of wire (2 leads, ideally red & black);

a small, quiet but effective, 12 v dc fan, whose current drain is below the limit of that provided by the radio, via its external tuner jack.

Assemble the above parts into a removable module, and - when you would like to use it - safely mount the fan on or near the radio & plug it in.

Fan will cool radio whenever the radio is On [potentially extending the life of the radio].

(Giving credit where due: The idea for this mod comes from W2ENY's eBay item-description for a fan + cable-assembly that does the external cooling for various ICOM transceivers).

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.