• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-7000 receive problem?

Yes ! I unplugged it and the noise dissapeared. The cable also seems to add 2dBi noise on receive. So how do I remove noise from the cable ?

Your PC interface should not introduce that much noise into the rig. The fact that it is tells us that something is terribly wrong. My initial thought is that a ground loop has been formed.

Can you tell us more about the sound card interface you are using?

Reactions: 1 person
Your PC interface should not introduce that much noise into the rig. The fact that it is tells us that something is terribly wrong. My initial thought is that a ground loop has been formed.

Can you tell us more about the sound card interface you are using?

I am not using the pc as a audio device, because I cant get Line in to work and that's typical of Dell and there built in SigmaTel audio sound cards.

I recently sold an 11z Dell to a friend. He's having same sound card issue problems.

Bad news is he will not be able to fix it. Even there is regedit procedures to fix but it doesn't work because they think if linein can be used people can copy music......stupid if u ask me. I have a XP mod that will get linein to work but not with vista.

Ok, so just did some test. First I ran the preamp on without the external display or data cable. Results: 3 1/2 s units. With data cable plugged in 7 s units. With rca external display 9 s units. This was tested on 15mhZ. So, both cables are mud duck status and I will try the choke idea. Also, no ground loops here. Only thing grounded is antenna with 2. 13' copper rods below the antenna base with 1" strap. Shack is grounded via wall plugs. Radio is not grounded except from radio to astron ground lot and astron is grounded via; house. I cant run radio to outside ground because it would take 6' of wire and that is not accepted or worth it.

Okay just tryied it with headphones and it sounds much worse and it seems 20m shows the worse clipping. I also tried it on a battery and it still does it so I dont know what is up.

it seems that you have found the problem,:tongue:

the reason I asked about using the headphones was to rule out the internal speaker,..... I don't think the speakers wires are properly shielded and there was a posssibility of RF getting into the speaker at certain freq's

Reactions: 1 person
is your interface homebrew or commercial ?

Just went to 40 meters (7.3Mhz AM) plugged in the cable to the port on the pc USB and bam 6 S UNITS of junk, unplugged it from PC no s units. Also, cable was not plugged into radio during this test. The cable was again; bought from china on eBay for $8.99 . It is NOT a home brew. I'll post a picture of the cable in the next post.

Here is the Icom cable and, USB extension cable currently choked.
2012-03-15_13-31-10_280.jpg

Here is the Icom cable and, USB extension cable currently choked.
2012-03-15_13-31-10_280.jpg

Who cares about the usb cable being choked. that bad boy needs to be choked right at the 1/8 in ci-v jack.. on my home brew interface i used a RadioShack® 100 µH RF Choke | Catalog #: 273-102 at the pc board.
pRS1C-2266705w345.jpg

but on your setup i would try on of these.. Snap Choke Core | Catalog #: 273-067

pRS1C-4425678w345.jpg

Or Catalog #: 273-105

pRS1C-2265709w345.jpg

and get as many wraps as close to the 1/8 inch jack as you can.

Your problem isn't the usb side of the interface it is the serial side that connects to the radio. when the radio sends or receives data there are small voltage spikes and that is where you are getting your noise. If you cut your cable and put an led across the wires (with a resistor of course) you would see the activity.

Who cares about the usb cable being choked. that bad boy needs to be choked right at the 1/8 in ci-v jack.. on my home brew interface i used a RadioShack® 100 µH RF Choke | Catalog #: 273-102 at the pc board.
pRS1C-2266705w345.jpg

but on your setup i would try on of these.. Snap Choke Core | Catalog #: 273-067

pRS1C-4425678w345.jpg

Or Catalog #: 273-105

pRS1C-2265709w345.jpg

and get as many wraps as close to the 1/8 inch jack as you can.

Your problem isn't the usb side of the interface it is the serial side that connects to the radio. when the radio sends or receives data there are small voltage spikes and that is where you are getting your noise. If you cut your cable and put an led across the wires (with a resistor of course) you would see the activity.

Okay, ill remove the choke I placed and set it right by the data jack. I dont use it anymore you have no idea how nice it is to have such clean receive! Since iv had the cable its been plugged in.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.