• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-703 vs. Yaesu FT-817ND

Thestonerguy

Apr 3, 2005
Texas
www.cbgazette.com
Looking for some help - I have to come up with some $$$ and I have the choice of selling either my 703 (HF) or the 817ND. The 703 is used, has the Icom carrying pack, Gel Cell battery, while the 817ND is still NIB (Haven't had the time to use it, so I figured someon here owns one).

Having used the 703, I know what I like and I know it's possible the PA or Driver could go out/ or not. I really like the tuner too.

The 817ND is 5 watts less, but much smaller/lighter and covers any band I want to use, however I haven't used it so I'm not sure how I would like it, and of course, it doesn't have a tuner.

Any votes, one way or the other?
Tnx
Woody

I owned a 817nd and loved it. Yah it's only 5w but you can buy a small brick amp for it. I used a 100w amp and talked all over the world. I also talked to England on 5w. It is small compact and you can take it anywhere. There are alot of groups and webpages dedicated to the 817. I wish I hadn't got rid of mine. Do yourself a faver and keep it. KI4MSJ,CDX126

usally i am the first person to say go get the Icom
usally Icom is the better choice

this is a exception.....
although i love my 706 MKIIG and IC-7000
ID-1 ID-800 T90A IC-R3 and soon IC-910H

the IC-703 is a bust
(is supposed to be based on the 706 MKIIG)
they are riddled with problems
(706 MKIIG,IC-7000 are Exellent radios)
perhaps at this point they resolved most the issues

but the other radio you are asking about owns that segment of the market....on the 817 i have heard nothing but Exellent remarks

even i (a total Icom fan) am considering getting one for means of a good reliable portable radio and QRP use

Thanks for the input guys! While I've had no problems with the 703 (it's been a real pleasure to operate) I was kinda leaning towards keeping the 817 just because of the built-in batteries and vhf/uhf abilities (and I've had good luck with my 897D).
Regards,
Woody

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.